Which Melbourne suburb - bit different

M005

We are pleased we chose it, however for us Melbourne/Mentone does not compare to London so we will probably still go back after my 2 year initial contract period comes to an end.

Mentone is fine, but I agree it's a bit quiet and boring. However, if you genuinely like living in London you're probably in the wrong Australian city. Sydney is a lot more like London, with all the positives and all the drawbacks.

Mentone is fine, but I agree it's a bit quiet and boring. However, if you genuinely like living in London you're probably in the wrong Australian city. Sydney is a lot more like London, with all the positives and all the drawbacks.

I would have to disagree. I have lived and worked in London for 7 years before moving to Sydney (Now living in Perth) and it's nothing like London. From my visit to Melbourne this year I would say Melbourne is more like London as it has that cosmopolitan, multi cultural feel that Sydney lacks. Plus the museums, history, buildings etc etc. Sydney has none of this. Obviously this is Australia we're talking about so it will never be the same but Melbourne is the closest city out of all imo.

Thanks for all the input; we had focussed on Melbourne with research and planning for the recce and our move however we were disappointed. Obviously we are all different, but for us it was just like central London with worse traffic - absolutely hideous traffic.

So we cancelled some plans and grabbed 4 days in Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast, which was much more to our liking; dependable weather, less built up, far less traffic and a feeling of space.

It proves that even with family living in the city, all the helpful advice from here and the other research we did, there is no substitute for actually getting feet on the ground and having a look-see yourself. So now we are starting the research again, but concluded that Australia is for us and so have submitted the visa application and put the house on the market.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all the input; we had focussed on Melbourne with research and planning for the recce and our move however we were disappointed. Obviously we are all different, but for us it was just like central London with worse traffic - absolutely hideous traffic.

So we cancelled some plans and grabbed 4 days in Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast, which was much more to our liking; dependable weather, less built up, far less traffic and a feeling of space.

It proves that even with family living in the city, all the helpful advice from here and the other research we did, there is no substitute for actually getting feet on the ground and having a look-see yourself. So now we are starting the research again, but concluded that Australia is for us and so have submitted the visa application and put the house on the market.

Hi M005 - The advice has always been research, research, research, but you hit the nail on the head - It's only when you get boots on the ground and see through your own eyes that you get a true picture of what the location is like. Even the Economist reports on the worlds most liveable cities is a subjective report.

My advice to anyone is to go see for yourself before you jump in.

Most people wouldn't buy a car without seeing and test driving, so why make a complete change to your life without testing first!?

Good luck with the lovely Sunny Coast!

T

Archived