Morning All!

LadyFliss

Hello All,

I'm Felicity (25yr) and I currently live in Peterborough with my better half Matt (23yr).

I visited Oz when I was 17 and my sister was on a year exchange with Virgin Active -> Virgin Blue. I of course fell in love with the country almost immediatley.

We are looking to making the move over to OZ but we are a little confused and overwhelmed by all the options ect.

He is currently a special cunstable for the British Transport Police but really wants to become a full time officer in OZ.

We have been advised that a two year work permit may be our option -He is a web developer at the moment, but this is not what he wants to do. I am currently in stock controll and hold a forklift licence with two NVQs.

We are looking for advice and guidence and anything would be great!

The other question is if we do manage to get a 2 year visa and the company emplying us do sponsor us do we they have a requirement to stay there for x-amount of time once we become perminant residence.

Many Thanks and Hello to all, look forward to speaking to you all :)

• 2 weeks later...

There isn't a two year work permit as far as I am aware...

There is a 4 year 457 temporary visa

Or a working holiday visa which is valid for one year. If you complete 3 months regional work in that year then you will be eligible for a second year working holiday visa. Note on the working holiday visa that you can't work for an employer for longer than 6 months. So most people on this visa can only manage to get bar and hospitality work..

If you are happy to come over for 2 years and go home then the WHV might be the visa for you.

If you are trying to live in Australia permanently it may not be your best route.

But at the end of the day there is a lot more to it than simply finding an employer to sponsor you - you have to be deemed skilled to a certain level and usually your job has to be on the CSOL or SOL lists. Web developer is on the CSOL list, but your partner would need recent experience (wasn't sure if this was a career he left to be in the transport police).

SOL - http://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/skilled-occupations-lists/sol.aspx

CSOL - http://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/skilled-occupations-lists/csol.aspx

You will note on the CSOL list that there is a ANZSCO code next to the occupation. If you google this it will give you the min requirements that your partner will need to meet I belive, see link below:

https://www.acacia-au.com/anzsco/261212.php

I believe to get a visa with a occupation on the CSOL you need to have state or employer sponsorship! Not sure if any states are sponsoring web developers, you would have to look into the individual state websites.

I'm not terribly knowledgeable in skilled visas, so hopefully someone else will come along soon and correct me + give you additional info

Archived