457-186 Transition

homer911

I am just about to start the process of applying for our 186 visa. I have done a fair amount of research on the process and it doesn't seem too difficult. We are a low risk applicant.

I want to apply myself and not use an agent. I dont see many people on here who do not use an agent. Am I missing something here? $3000-4000 is expensive if I can do it myself easily.

I have read the booklet 5 and the 186 decision ready checklist and it all seems straight forward.

Can anyone who has gone through the same process comment? How hard did you find the whole process?

This is how I see the process:

Gather certified docs

Apply for Police checks

No IELTS required

Get employer to submit employer nonination application

Submit my application

Wait for medical requests

WAIT. .......

We didn't use an agent, were also a very straight forward application with an employer who had been through the process many times and really knew what they were doing. From our end we just followed the checklist, used the booklet 5 to guide us, 3 months from the start of the process and we were granted PR. Oh, and we front loaded everything - including medicals. If an onshore application they say in the booklet to do this.

Once we submitted everything, we heard nothing from a case officer until the email of grant came.

If you feel confident that you can handle everything by yourself, by all means do it without an agent - many PIO members have done just that without problems.

I would however insert another step in your list:

Gather certified docs

Apply for Police checks

No IELTS required

Get employer to submit employer nonination application

Wait until nomination has been approved. If you submit your application before the nomination has been approved and it isn't approved, you will lose your VAC.

Submit my application

Wait for medical requests. The timeline should be short enough that you could do your medicals before being requested to do so.

Cheers mate, had a look and it varies between 1month and 5 months. Will have to just wait and see.

I can see my employer being very slow with the nomination application. I am interested in prepping the application for them. I know its an online application for the nomination but does anyone know if there is a pdf copy on the immi website so that I can get all the info ready for they. They need to be spoon fed... :-)

Cheers mate, had a look and it varies between 1month and 5 months. Will have to just wait and see.

I can see my employer being very slow with the nomination application. I am interested in prepping the application for them. I know its an online application for the nomination but does anyone know if there is a pdf copy on the immi website so that I can get all the info ready for they. They need to be spoon fed... :-)

Hey Homer911 - if you manage to come across this pdf form id be keen for it also. I will be processing my Pr myself in feb and want to get everything filled out for myself and my employer. God if it came through in a month that would be amazing! im working on about 4 months tho. When are you applying? when are you getting your police and medicals?

Im not eligible to apply until May. I wany to give my employer a couple of months to sort the application. So I think I will apply for the plice checks and medicals around march/april time. See how it goes. I have a lot of my docs already certified as true copies done in the uk. Does abyone know if there is an expire time limit on these. I wouldnt think so. Once its certified its certified.

Im not eligible to apply until May. I wany to give my employer a couple of months to sort the application. So I think I will apply for the plice checks and medicals around march/april time. See how it goes. I have a lot of my docs already certified as true copies done in the uk. Does abyone know if there is an expire time limit on these. I wouldnt think so. Once its certified its certified.

do have a rough idea of cost of police and medicals? thanks

• 7 months later...

Archived