How to live permanently in Australia?

Sunnymemo

Hello Everyone,

I have long contemplated moving to Australia since I graduated last year. I have been thinking about taking a WHV and try and get sponsored while I am in Australia so I can stay for longer than a year and get a step closer to obtaining that permanent residency.

Just curios if anyone has had success in living in Australia having come over on a WHV?

Can it be done? I read an article recently about many Brits especially students coming over to work in Australia and finding permanent jobs there. This has led me to believe that it is possible.

Alternatively, if there is anyone similar to me or who managed to find permanent work in Australia, how did you manage to do it?

Thank you for your help and time.

It's definitely possible to come on a WHV, find sponsorship and eventually get a visa that will enable you to stay permanently and many people have done just that but it's not all that straightforward. To begin with, sponsorship is only a possibility if your occupation is on the CSOL. Also, the employer must be able to meet training benchmarks and a number of other requirements before they can be approved as a sponsor and in many cases, they must be able to show that that they have conducted labour market testing before the nomination of a worker from overseas can be approved for a particular position.

First question - what is your occupation?

Depending on your occupation, qualifications and work experience, it may even be possible for you to have a chance of a visa without employer sposnorship.

Hello Everyone,

I have long contemplated moving to Australia since I graduated last year. I have been thinking about taking a WHV and try and get sponsored while I am in Australia so I can stay for longer than a year and get a step closer to obtaining that permanent residency.

Just curios if anyone has had success in living in Australia having come over on a WHV?

Can it be done? I read an article recently about many Brits especially students coming over to work in Australia and finding permanent jobs there. This has led me to believe that it is possible.

Alternatively, if there is anyone similar to me or who managed to find permanent work in Australia, how did you manage to do it?

Thank you for your help and time.

Hey! I came 4 years ago backpacking on a WHV, was lucky enough to get myself sponsored and am applying for PR in feb. It def can be done, Sponsorship has got a lot harder now tho but if you want it bad enough you will find a way!

Of course it can be done but the chances of it happening are very slim.

Saying things like "if you want it bad enough you will find a way" gives people false hope. No, it all comes down to whether or not you have skills that Australia needs.

Look at Skillselect and see if you have skills Australia needs and if you would ever be able to get 60 points or more.

I graduated last year with a degree in Politics and International Relations.

Since then I have done Customer support roles in Digital Media, my most recent being a customer advocate for a social media monitoring company.

Probably my chances are quite slim as I have looked at the skills list and can't see any entirely related to my skillset.....but it still might be possible.

I'll have to think long and hard about taking the plunge on travelling to OZ...At least I know that I tried to go abroad rather than did nothing.:(

Hey! I came 4 years ago backpacking on a WHV, was lucky enough to get myself sponsored and am applying for PR in feb. It def can be done, Sponsorship has got a lot harder now tho but if you want it bad enough you will find a way!

Hello Laura,

That sounds like a dream come true. Congratulations.

Did you have the required skills laid out in skill select?

What kind of industry/employer offered to sponsor you?

kind regards.

Of course it can be done but the chances of it happening are very slim.

Saying things like "if you want it bad enough you will find a way" gives people false hope. No, it all comes down to whether or not you have skills that Australia needs.

Look at Skillselect and see if you have skills Australia needs and if you would ever be able to get 60 points or more.

I disagree, ive been sponsored 3 times now. I got made redundant from my first job and had 28 days to find a new visa, i then got sponsored again but had a crazy boss so left and got myself sponsored again. Ive now been with this employer 2 years and am going for PR. Annoying that a change of job meant my PR clock was back to zero but got there eventually.

I do agree Thomasyo it is alot harder now but despite extremley stressful times i found a way. Something was telling me i am meant to be in oz. Or maybe im just lucky

Hello Laura,

That sounds like a dream come true. Congratulations.

Did you have the required skills laid out in skill select?

What kind of industry/employer offered to sponsor you?

kind regards.

Thankyou! you may see from what ive just posted tho that it wasnt easy! it was also a few years when i first got sponsored and you didnt need to have a degree at that time. I am sponsored as a Project/Program Administrator ive worked in the head office of a fitness equipment company/ recruitmnet ( like all english do!) and now real estate which is what i did back in the uk. I think you need a degree or 5 years relevant experience now but just dont give up!!!

I graduated last year with a degree in Politics and International Relations.

Since then I have done Customer support roles in Digital Media, my most recent being a customer advocate for a social media monitoring company.

Probably my chances are quite slim as I have looked at the skills list and can't see any entirely related to my skillset.....but it still might be possible.

I'll have to think long and hard about taking the plunge on travelling to OZ...At least I know that I tried to go abroad rather than did nothing.:(

Your job sounds like what my ex does. His company were chomping at the big to sponsor him but couldn't as his job wasn't on the SOL or CSOL. There isn't a way for everyone.

Archived