Work on a student visa?

Sean Golding

Hi guys, I am looking at going back to Australia on a study visa and was wondering what the situation is for working while studying? I will be doing a TAFE course which requires placement alongside classes, placement has to be sourced by myself (Carpentry).

Am I eligible to be paid for placement work (as I believe this doesn't affect my 40 hours per fortnight that I am already allowed to work)?

My housemate when I was living there before was doing social work whilst studying at TAFE and she was working and being paid for full time hours, she said she was not restricted on work as it was related to her course. Is this correct or was she technically breaching her visa conditions?

I would just like the opportunity to make a little extra cash while studying as 20 hours a week wages don't go very far at all!

All I know is a guy I used to work with tried to pull this off and in the end couldn't as to be counted as part of the course it had to be unpaid. He has been told it could be paid. My work place of course could see he was restricted to 20 hours a week on his visa, so asked for some proof. He couldn't find it so had to give up and only do 20 hours.

Check with a good agent as immigration are linked to the tax office now. You don't want to get chucked out after paying all those fees.

Ah not to worry I think I have just found my answer anyway. It is not mandatory to be paid for any placement work, however I can be paid for it should the employer wish to voluntarily pay me, although he doesn't have to...pffft think I would be lucky to get someone to volunteer wages haha.

http://www.fairwork.gov.au/about-us/policies-and-guides/fact-sheets/unpaid-work/student-placements

That isn't your answer at all as it doesn't take into account your visa conditions. I know when I had my student visa you weren't even allowed to do unpaid voluntary work over your 20 hours paid (shame as my husband who wasn't studying but could still only do 20 hours a week really wanted to volunteer for meals on wheels). This was 5 years ago though. The guy I worked with was 3.5/4 years ago.

If you do end up having to do a work placement, double check with an agent that it won't affect your 20 paid hours a week.

That isn't your answer at all as it doesn't take into account your visa conditions. I know when I had my student visa you weren't even allowed to do unpaid voluntary work over your 20 hours paid (shame as my husband who wasn't studying but could still only do 20 hours a week really wanted to volunteer for meals on wheels). This was 5 years ago though. The guy I worked with was 3.5/4 years ago.

If you do end up having to do a work placement, double check with an agent that it won't affect your 20 paid hours a week.

No it doesn't affect it according to the government website as long as it is registered as part of my course. I believe I can also work in exchange for board/lodge but not receive financial remuneration. Think it will be a very tough 2 years if I am realistically only going to earn $4-500 per week. I can work unlimited hours during the holidays though which is a perk.

https://www.immi.gov.au/students/visa-conditions-students.htm

So the trick would be to check with the course provider if their registered employers pay or not. I'd be kinda suprised if they did, but you never know.

It is hard being limited work wise. You certainly need to make sure you have enough money to pay for your course plus back up. We had two of us working 20 hours a week, and me full time in holidays, and we covered our living costs but nothing towards visa and course fees.

I am intending to give up sleep here in the UK for a year or so and continue to moonlight full time until I have an appropriate amount of savings. I want to at least be able to cover 4 semesters education (approx £15k) plus an extra £7-10k in reserve to cover flights and relocation costs, visas, a cheap vehicle over there and some general living expenses. As long as I can earn $4-500pw and live again in a shared house I will be fine. It would just be nice if I could survive more comfortably and not be counting every cent! I'm quite handy fortunately so I'm sure there's always going to be a few small cash jobs knocking around with friends. I was just trying to figure out how my former housemate managed it, I guess she was probably breaking her visa conditions. Do you know can you be self employed on a student visa? Thanks

I 'think' you can, but you are still restricted to those hours. Just remember a cash in hand job could cost you your visa. Personally I never thought that was worth the risk.

When I say a cash job I mean just doing odd domestic bits for friends, such as refurbishing their decking, painting their house etc. A lot of my friends over there are professionals and get confused as to the concept of using a screwdriver. Other things for instance is my former housemate/landlord couldn't iron clothes (and was too lazy to learn), so he would reduce my rent in exchange for doing his ironing haha. Odd bits like these may just cut down my expenses enough to make $500pw comfortable.

Fortunately I don't smoke, rarely drink and eat pretty healthy. My expenses are often low and favourite past times are cheap/free in Aus. My whole ambition for being over there, that great outdoor life!

Archived