820/801 visa!

Liamshikari

Ozmaniac, we are calling today to enquire further about the civil partnership and see if we are able to proceed with that and the earliest date we can do this. Hopefully everything comes back positive from that and then we can do this. We are in ACT. I just have to say thank you to yourself and Engaus for all the advice, although this has been such a stress we would much rather be trying to do something about it than go in blind thinking everything was great! When it wasn't, I shall keep you updated! Fingers crossed the civil partnership process is a smooth one!

I think it's possible that to meet DIBP's requirements, you may need a Civil Union in the ACT rather than the ACT's Civil Partnership. For the registration to meet DIBP's requirements, it must qualify as prescribed in the Acts Interpretation (Registered Relationships) Regulations 2008 so you should check to make sure that a Civil Partnership meets that requirement. I don't know if it does or not. A good RMA should be able to tell you.

My partner and I registered for a civil partnership today. May i ask why a civil union may be required opposed to a civil partnership? As isn't a civil partnership a more serious commitment than a civil union, so I wouldn't understand why it would be discredited, however I will look into it because if that is there case then it is actually ridiculous!

I said I don't know which one meets the requirements and that you should check to make sure that a Civil Partnership qualifies. Each of the other states with a Relationship Register has only one option so the possibility exists that only one is the kind of relationship prescribed in the Acts Interpretation (Registered Relationships) Regulations 2008. It may be that the Civil Partnership is the right one - I simply don't know and until you check, you won't know either.

I did some research regarding whether a civil union is still an acceptable form of waiving the 12 month requirement and it is so that's pretty good, I would have been surprised if it wasn't.

Our certificate arrives on the 22nd so we are still applying the 10th as there will be no chance someone looks at our application that soon and EngAus thanks for the tip we will also be adding the result, just in case ha!

So now that the situation of the 12 months is taken care off, going back to my initial post, is our evidence a decent amount?

Good stuff, i'm so glad it's worked out for you! A few things that we also included that I can't see that you have there were:

They like to see that you both have a future commitment together so we had a will drawn up - very simple to do and you could easily have that done by the 10th. You can also have each other down as beneficiaries on your superannuation

We had joint memberships - so included out joint fly buys, we had a joint cinema membership, and a few others for restaurants

We were listed down on the same car insurance

We lived in Victoria so we had ambulance cover together

So they are just a few other things that I can think of that we supplied. Just make sure that you give them a good overall picture of your relationship and cover the 4 pillars of evidence well. They seem to hold a lot of weight on joint financial evidence so try to make sure you have as much of that as possible.

• 1 month later...

You won't get a email to say "you have been assigned a case officer", so how do you know you haven't been assigned a case officer?

Processing times are over 12-14 months and your not at 12 months yet - so if they have everything they need - you will not be contacted until they grant your visa.

You won't get a email to say "you have been assigned a case officer", so how do you know you haven't been assigned a case officer?

Processing times are over 12-14 months and your not at 12 months yet - so if they have everything they need - you will not be contacted until they grant your visa.

I heard you did get told when your co was assigned! I'm just so impatient now!

• 3 weeks later...

They were really vague, I asked for clarification as well and basically got a link to the evidence booklet! :(

I have provided them with joint bank accounts, rental agreements, joint bills, stat decs photos, everything really lol!

yea thats whats scaring me, do you know what options are avialable shoudl they decline it?

Panick is setting in!

Hm...

So you have been living together since October 2013 and applied May 2014. I'm concerned because it's not even closer to 12 months. What was your relationship with your partner prior to October? Had you ever lived together or was it a long distance relationship? Why did you apply early? Did you have a reason? (just wondering if they think it might be grounds for excusing the 12 months).

What about wills? You names on your partner superannuation? Joint car insurance? Joint memberships e.g gym, flybuys, joint purchases? e.g a couch or a fridge. Joint travel?

Did you ensure that you had evidence for all 4 evidence categories?

How many stat decs did you have?

If they decline it you will be in a bit of a sticky situation. You will most likely need to go offshore and apply for a partner application from there

• 1 month later...
its been a month now since i submitted for evidence... how long until I can ask for an update you think?

Email them if you like. I think you are unlikely to get much of a helpful response. Presumably they gave you 28 days to supply the information and sometimes they don't look at the details you send until the deadline has ended.

Archived