anyone know more about the Mary Valley land sales?

Sandsmuir

I think its all come about as a result of a dam project going belly up so the state is selling the land back for residential or farmers. 400 plus farms were bought but only a few purchased their farms back so the rest is up for sale. seems like a good opportunity even if only for a house site with acreage! Anyone know the area?

I think its all come about as a result of a dam project going belly up so the state is selling the land back for residential or farmers. 400 plus farms were bought but only a few purchased their farms back so the rest is up for sale. seems like a good opportunity even if only for a house site with acreage! Anyone know the area?

I'd never heard of it but thought I'd check it out.

- Its lots of land for little money, building a house there would cost a bit due to material and labour transport costs I'd guess

- S Coast hinterland is a lovely location but pretty isolated, fine if you want to start a farm and don't need to commute anywhere for work

- Nearest I've visited is Eumundi, nice, quiet area

- Why did the original farmers not want it back I wonder

- Why did the original farmers not want it back I wonder

I wonder if it is anything to do with exploration for coal or coal seam gas....which has been very controversial in many areas of Queensland and NSW?

I notice a statement

Commercial quantities of high quality coal have already been identified ... and exploration areas exist throughout much of the Mary Valley....

in this article

http://www.gympietimes.com.au/news/coal-seam-gas-alarm-over-plans-tinana-exploration/2243677/

The problem is you can own the land but not what lies under it...and I don't think you have any power to stop companies exploring and interfering on your private property. So maybe that is making potential buyers very wary.

Hi there

Mary Valley is a stunning area and that's why there were so many protests about drowning the land for the sake of a shallow and large dam. Also - there are fresh water turtles and endangered lung fish that would have been threatened, had the dam ggone ahead.

There are a number of small towns in that area and a strong sense of community. I've traveled around the area a fair amount with hiking, camping, fishing and canoeing. I also know a fair amount about the various types of farms and the risks involved.

Feel free to email me if you would like to ask specific questions. Happy to help with local contacts as well.

Chantal

Archived