The Future of Trades on the SOL?

Sean Golding

Hello guys, this may sound like a strange post...as nobody can predict the future...but I have been looking around the internet for references for the SOL for previous years and I can't seem to find anything. Basically I am trying to see how long certain trades have been on there to try and hazard a guess as to the future demand of such trades. I am currently training to be a carpenter, and realistically I know I will have to work 3 years full time in the UK before I can apply for skills assessment, I am hoping (and praying) that my skill will not be removed from the SOL in this time. So would anybody know how great the demand is for Trade workers? Is the market starting to saturate or is there a growing shortage?

Some trades, e.g. Carpenter, Electrician, Plumber and others have so far always been on the SOL. Others e.g. Bricklayer, Wall and Floor Tiler and Chef have been on and off at various times but of course, there's no way of knowing what the next SOL will include much less any of the SOLs after that. Some occupations are flagged for possible removal (including Carpenter) - here's a link to the flagged list but again, there's no way of knowing if any of them will actually be removed. The flagged list was around well before the current SOL was released and no occupations were removed when it was released.

http://www.awpa.gov.au/our-work/labour-market-information/skilled-occupation-list/Pages/Flagged-Occupations.aspx