Northern Territory Cost of Living

sun2

Hello There,

Planning to migrate to Darwin/NT and for that need to write a Commitment to live in Northern Territory.

Can some one please share availability of housing, cost of living (for example, Rent Food, Transport, Utilities etc)

Is there a good network of public transportation or is it absolute necessary to buy own mean of transportation?

Is Anyone out there from the Hospitality industry and can comment on job status?

Your valuable feed back would be highly appreciated.

Happy to try and help a little with some of your questions sun2. I moved to Darwin in August so have recently had to address many of the issues that you are wonderign about.

In terms of availability of housing, it depends on what you are looking for, which i guess depends on if you are coming alone or with others. I came here alone and there are lots of modern apartments in the city centre. In fact there are too many so there should be no problems finding a place. Darwin feels like a property bubble with an inevitable crash coming as new apartments are coming on stream all the time, but so far the prices are holding up. i pay $550 per week for my place, large, 1 bedroom. Bills included except for electric, which i top up on a card system. Don't know much about house rentals

I have managed so far without a car as i live and work in the CBD, which is mostly fine and means i am saving money quite easily. There is a decent bus network to get from the Centre to most of the suburbs but the buses do not run very late. the last buses on the main routes tend to be at about 9.30pm (except on fridays and saturdays, when they run to 10.30 or so). So if you are working late in the Hospitality industry that might be a problem, unless you are able to walk to and from work you will likely need a car. buses cost $3 per journey and the tickets are valid for 3 hours, or you can buy a weekly ticket for $20, unlimited bus rides. Good value.

I came from the UK to Australia so i find groceries relatively expensive, though there are excellent markets in Darwin. Difficult to say what i spend, maybe $$150 - $200 per week to buy all my food (inlcuding for all my lunches at work). I don't stint on this though, i have a good salary and i'm here alone so if i want something i buy it. Am sure with careful planning it would be possible to spend less. Coles and Woolworths both provide advice on their prices on their websites and it might be work putting together a notional shopping list on there and seeing waht it costs.

Think thats about all i can advise on. Do let me know though if you have any questions on any of this stuff

Edited by CommanderMaxil
typos