Auto electrician Assesment

Steve71

• 4 months later...
Hi Steve, Just wondering how you got on with you Vetassess application? Any information about auto electrician skills assessments are a bit thin on the ground!

Hi Clive10angela,

I've just had a reply from vetassess to confirm they have received my application. Its taken a couple of months to collect all the evidence they wanted.

I am self employed so had to get references from customers and dig out 5 years worth of accounts! just keeping my fingers crossed that they don't need anything else.I spoke to vetassess last night and they said that the paperwork should take a week or so to process, provided they don't need any further info.After that they will give me 2 weeks notice for the technical interview.Online i think? They have said it shouldn't take more than 10 weeks in total.I'll Let you know how i get on.

Hi Steve71,

Thank you so much for your reply. My husband is also a self-employed auto-electrician. We are still in the process of collecting all the masses of evidence. So far we have references from 3 of his clients and 2 suppliers. I'm not sure how much detail they will want in terms of accounts? Have you given them copies of all your transactions/ledgers (please say no!) with some copies of reciepts and invoices? I was planning on getting a reference from his accountant and attaching his annual P&Ls and balance sheets, along with his self-assessment summaries and NI contributions?? Could you give a bit more detail on what you have provided??

It sounds like there may not be a practical assessment but a skype interview instead.

That would be great to know how you get on, thank you.

Best of luck,

Angela

Hi Angela

Sounds like you have done pretty much what we did.I sent the last 5 years corporation tax receipts, 3 references and a couple of third party reports.Also included a health and safety policy and a random selection of sales and purchase receipts (2 or 3 from each year). My accountant also wrote a reference. I had read on the vetassess website that i might need a sworn statement signed by a public notary but didn't think it applied to my application.Also included a load of photos and video evidence as i don't have any formal AE qualifications, just 20 years experience. I cross-referenced all the points in my CV, references and Photo/Video evidence with the Fact sheet on the vettassess website.The biggest pain was getting every piece of evidence certified ( about 80 pages!). i used my accountant to do this. I should find out in the next couple of weeks if we have provided everything they want.

Let me know how you get on.

good luck.

steve

• 1 month later...

Hi Angela,

glad to here that you managed to get your assessment in.

I sent mine about 9 weeks ago and heard back from them after about 5 weeks to say that they were happy with the paperwork and i could book my technical interview.(there is no practical assessments in the UK). they have 2 centers that you have to attend for your interview. one in Manchester and one in Kent.I went for the interview in Manchester on Wednesday. It was a Skype call with a guy in called Allan in Melbourne. it was fairly relaxed and not as daunting as i thought it might be. He asked me questions about my work and gave me a few example scenarios and asked how i could solve them.He covered pretty much everything from the fact guide on the vetassess website.It lasted about 2 hours. Unfortunately he could not give me the result of the interview on the day as vetassess have to send them directly(up to 10 working days!). But i feel fairly confident.

Hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Cheers steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info! It's such a relief to get the evidence sent off, but now my husband is starting to feel a bit nervous about the interview...he wants to know how in depth the questions are? Its good to know it will be in Kent (where we live), so that's handy.

good luck with the outcome, I hope it works out well for you.

Angela

• 4 weeks later...
Guest John from Moneycorp

Hi all

Future Skills International deliver the TRA approved Skills Assessments - they are based in London.

It’s easy because you can call them any time to find out regarding your application process. They deliver the practical assessments a couple of times a month in London from the Down Under Centre. I know they are delivering assessments for 16 clients this month. Here is their UK number if you want to give them a call - 0203 727 7518.

Thanks

John

• 11 months later...

Does anybody have any information on what I will be asked in my auto electrician technical interview?

got my date for interview as 6th July in Manchester and although I've been doing this job for about 15 years I've never been tested on anything like this and the nerves are starting to get to me.

Any information on what to expect would be very appreciated!!

• 4 years later...

Its pretty straight forward. They ask a few basic questions on common systems, such as starting and charging systems. They put slides up on the screen and ask you questions relating to what's on the screen. They ask you to name certain components. And also ask how about a process to diagnose a fault. Dont be worried about it. I was shitting myself going into the test but at the end i realised I  was stressed over nothing. Good luck 👍🏻

Its pretty straight forward. They ask a few basic questions on common systems, such as starting and charging systems. They put slides up on the screen and ask you questions relating to what's on the screen. They ask you to name certain components. And also ask how about a process to diagnose a fault. Dont be worried about it. I was shitting myself going into the test but at the end i realised I  was stressed over nothing. Good luck 👍🏻

• 8 months later...

It was very very easy even for me whos not been doing it for long. Questions like how would you diagnose an abs fault, how would you wire up a set of beacons. Obviously mention things like fuse, relays ect and what wire you wire upto which pin on relay and what the pins do. They asked how i find out what fuse i need. Things like ohms law and the power triangle. A lot of heath and safety things, mention about cleaning your work area after ect. How you connect and disconnect a battery charger. If you mention about soldering make sure you say you would do it in a well ventilated area haha. Really easy to be honest and really laid back. How would you test a charging system, how would you diagnose a starting fault for example a none start. And you just talk through your steps. Nothing to worry about to be honest, lasted a couple of hours. If its over zoom at home make sure nobodys in the room with you and that you dont have notes all over place because they ask you to move your camera around every 30 mins or so haha. They was a couple of things i forgot and i just said im not sure they wasnt a problem and they kind of help you. Theys only one person doing the interview and then another person pops on every 30 mins to check nobodys in the room with you ect.