Importing a vw t5 campervan! Is it worth it?

Bouncy

Just wondering if it's worth bringing our beloved camper? It's a vw t5 2005. It's not got air con but would get this fitted if we were to bring it! We would be looking to get a camper out there anyway so wondered if it's worth it this way? Can you put it in a container with the rest if our belongings? Sorry a bit clueless!! Any help appreciated!!

Bouncy x

I wonder how you would go with power in the van, by that i mean if it has Gas i presume this will all have to be converted to Aussie spec (i know headlights etc have to be done), if this is the case ,i would look into costs.

Ironlady imports is a good company who can you help with info or the actual shipping. You will see they comment on lots of vehicle shipping threads in this section.

Cal x

• 3 weeks later...

Hi we are just trying to decide the same thing! we have a 2008 t5 with a pop top. We are leaving at the end of jan so need to decide ASAP we have air con a crash tested rear bed and double swivel front seat the gas bottle just sits in the cupboard under the cooking unit. It a standard professional uk conversion really. Engine etc standard. I've worked out ( I think) that for everything comes to £5600

ish . This includes

shipping and insurance

duty gst and a valuation

customs clearance

quarantine inspection / steam clean

road worthy test

stamp duty

registration

If I missed anything please let me know !

The bit i know I haven't included and I am really unsure about, that could tip the balance is the work that needs to be done in oz SA to meet the regulation for registration can anybody advise

Hi we are just trying to decide the same thing! we have a 2008 t5 with a pop top. We are leaving at the end of jan so need to decide ASAP we have air con a crash tested rear bed and double swivel front seat the gas bottle just sits in the cupboard under the cooking unit. It a standard professional uk conversion really. Engine etc standard. I've worked out ( I think) that for everything comes to £5600

ish . This includes

shipping and insurance

duty gst and a valuation

customs clearance

quarantine inspection / steam clean

road worthy test

stamp duty

registration

If I missed anything please let me know !

The bit i know I haven't included and I am really unsure about, that could tip the balance is the work that needs to be done in oz SA to meet the regulation for registration can anybody advise

SA can be a bit of a pain for registration (I'm from SA!) but it's just a matter of getting an engineer to sign off on everything as meeting roadworthy requirements. Expect a bill around AUD1000 for the privilege.

Archived