places to go in sydney...

shak

Well, as it's getting close to Xmas, it's possibly fun to go into the City, along Pitt St Mall (there were lots happening there last week), and to look at the Xmas and Nativity scenes in David Jones department store - Castlereagh or Market Sts, I think. Is 18 months old enough to appreciate that?

Remembering to take care in the sun, there are also beaches that are nice for families - Clovelly and Bronte, 339 and 378 buses. Clovelly has a nice beach for paddling, and Bronte has a 'nice' park (God, I have to stop using that word!) and a little train that runs around on weekends.

Red Leaf (now known as 'Murray Rose'), Neilsen Park, Parsley Bay, Watsons Bay, all harbour beaches. are pretty good for kids too. I think it's a 324 bus that goes along New South Head Rd from the City to all or most of those places, and you can get a ferry from Circular Quay to Watsons Bay. That ferry probably stops at Double Bay and Rose Bay, which have their charms.

There's a wildlife park out near Blacktown which I keep meaning to go to - Featherdale I think, smaller than a zoo - Taronga though is good, though I've not been there for years - you can get a ferry from Circular Quay.

Sometimes it's just fun to explore, though. Maybe take a bus to La Perouse from either the City or Railway Square. I forgot about Manly and Darling Harbour.

There's a big cafe complex in Alexandria, can't think of the name. Does anybody else know it? I actually hate it because the crowds started forming before it opens at 7.30am but it's got gardens and a little livestock farm.

As I said, just exploring is fun, buy a day ticket for the train/bus/ferry/tram and just see where it goes?

I think you may mean The Grounds in Alexandria? I don't rate it either, although as you say, it's very popular .... Pretentious! Did you hear about their piggy getting stolen a few months back? Piggy went missing for a while and a reward was offered. They got him back in the end. (Publicity stunt?)

Actually I don't think Featherdale Wildlife Park's much good, seems to have mostly the same birds and animals in different cages spread across the park. I thought it was rather expensive, and it's very smelly too!

Another suggestion is the Christmas 3D projections at St Mary's Cathedral, lovely and Chrismassy for adults and children. Runs on a loop most evenings in December.

I think you may mean The Grounds in Alexandria? I don't rate it either, although as you say, it's very popular .... Pretentious! Did you hear about their piggy getting stolen a few months back? Piggy went missing for a while and a reward was offered. They got him back in the end. (Publicity stunt?)

Actually I don't think Featherdale Wildlife Park's much good, seems to have mostly the same birds and animals in different cages spread across the park. I thought it was rather expensive, and it's very smelly too!

Another suggestion is the Christmas 3D projections at St Mary's Cathedral, lovely and Chrismassy for adults and children. Runs on a loop most evenings in December.

The Grounds! That's it. I thought it might be OK, but I knew as soon as I saw the impossiblity to park, and the queues that it was not for me. I did get up early one Sat and walked from Surry Hills at 6.30, got there about 7.20, used the loo, looked at the animals, noted the queues even then for 730 opening, and walked back to Surry Hills via another cafe I found, maybe in Zetland. There are a couple I don't mind, both in Elizabeth St, one in Zetland - 'Eden?' and 'The Three Williams' in Redfern, the latter of which gets long queues and I REFUSE TO QUEUE, not for coffee, not for organic croissants (Bourke St Bakery) not for 'real Italian gelatto' (Messina?) You like it I know, and, mea culpa, I did stop on way back from Cricketers Arms Hotel on Fitzroy St for $10 Mon steak - great value by the way - and there was no queue at Messina, so I 'sneaked' in (against my principles.) I still prefer a Heaven or a Magnum!

I've noticed that Asians LOVE to queue for cafes? Are they on holiday or do they live here or both?

So, Featherdale is no good? On a day when it is supposed to be 43 degrees - today - in the West, probably not good to go.

That's interesting about St Mary's Cathedral. I am already impressed by the inside, as impressive as any cathedral I've seen in England. Actually, that whole area around Hyde Park, Macquarie St, The Domain, The Art Gallery of NSW (free) i

, Australian Musuem, is nice for a walk around. There's no great distances to negotiate and plenty of shade.

I'm going to a party at the sailing club in Rushcutters Bay this evening at 5pm, never been there before - Ocean Sailing Club? Something like that. I could get the train to Edgecliff and walk down, but I was also thinking of checking the ferry times to Watsons Bay from Circular Quay. I know it stops at Garden Island (where I used to work - and I think the park area by the wharf might be open to the public? If anybody has been there? That would be pleasant area to walk around, used to be great for us at lunchtimes.

It also stops at Double Bay and Rose Bay, but I'm not sure about Rushcutters Bay. I think last ferry from Watsons Bay is about 9.30pm?

I did not know about the pig!

My first pick would be Taronga Park Zoo. It has a spectacular location beside the harbour and the trip there by ferry is lovely. You are unlikely to get around the entire zoo with an 18 month old but any animals are usually a great delight for a toddler.

Sorry, did I hear you right, MaryRose ... You prefer a Magnum to Messina?! Well I never. I will eat my hat.

I won't Q for cafés either (ice cream is different). I like Eden quite a lot, especially their bran muffins. I don't really care much for 3 Williams but I go anyway since it's good for babies. My partner thinks that the Cricketer's Arms is 'alright.' The hipster cafe culture in Newtown is getting a bit out of control, I feel - there's a place down the road where it's a fiver for fairy bread and you have to sit on a poxy upturned wooden crate. Also, the café-in-in-a-small-bookshop idea annoys me, there's never enough room! But have you tried Black Star Pastry in Rosebery? Their watermelon cake is like eating a Cocteau Twins record ... My friend described it like eating cloud ... Divine! They have a very small branch in Newtown too, but since it's so small it attracts Qs so go straight to Rosebery. I command it!

My brother in law hopped into the wombat enclosure at Featherdale (what can I say, he loves wombats). Unsurprisingly, he got told to get out.

Have you really never seen the light projections at St Mary's? Stunning! It's of my favourite things about Summer in Sydney, and if you go at the right time there'll be carol singers on the steps. Do go!

Sorry, did I hear you right, MaryRose ... You prefer a Magnum to Messina?! Well I never. I will eat my hat.

I won't Q for cafés either (ice cream is different). I like Eden quite a lot, especially their bran muffins. I don't really care much for 3 Williams but I go anyway since it's good for babies. My partner thinks that the Cricketer's Arms is 'alright.' The hipster cafe culture in Newtown is getting a bit out of control, I feel - there's a place down the road where it's a fiver for fairy bread and you have to sit on a poxy upturned wooden crate. Also, the café-in-in-a-small-bookshop idea annoys me, there's never enough room! But have you tried Black Star Pastry in Rosebery? Their watermelon cake is like eating a Cocteau Twins record ... My friend described it like eating cloud ... Divine! They have a very small branch in Newtown too, but since it's so small it attracts Qs so go straight to Rosebery. I command it!

My brother in law hopped into the wombat enclosure at Featherdale (what can I say, he loves wombats). Unsurprisingly, he got told to get out.

Have you really never seen the light projections at St Mary's? Stunning! It's of my favourite things about Summer in Sydney, and if you go at the right time there'll be carol singers on the steps. Do go!

Black Star Pastry? No, don't know that one! I noticed a new one opened in Redfern on corner of Chalmers and Redfern Sts (already looking cool) called 'Breadfern!' (sic.)

For first time I went to the Cruising Yacht Club at Rushcutters Bay - very nice there but $700 per year membership fees - I thought $150 per year for Double Bay 18 Ft Sailing Club was high, but at least I used my membership card to sign in as I'm otherwise within the 5 kilometre limit.

Couple dropped me at cnr of Crown St and Oxford St, and, mea culpa, I went into another gelato place, just past Gas Light Inn, for a cone - lady explained the difference between gelatto and ice cream. There was no queue, but after I'd finished my cone, a queue had suddenly materialised. Damn! I was too late to queue!

I was thinking that a few years ago, when my niece and nephew were toddlers, we went to somewhere in Paddo, Woolahra, where we found a little maze, only a foot or two high, but the fun they had running around it! Are there any mazes here in Sydney?

I remember seeing a little 'zoo' set up in Marrickville one Saturday, not sure if it is a regular thing, but it was fun, seeing the animals and birds close up.

$10 steaks at Cricketers tomorrow night! (Also the same price at Trinity.) The Forresters does them for $5 on Monday as long as you buy a drink, but I've not tried them yet.

The Three 'Bills' has free Wi Fi. I can walk there in five minutes from my flat just to the south of Cleveland St, but mostly I just go to Juice and Java or La Flore by my flat.

There is a nice cafe by the entrance to Prince Alfred Pool. There are childrens' play areas there in park, not sure if there is a paddling pool?

My first pick would be Taronga Park Zoo. It has a spectacular location beside the harbour and the trip there by ferry is lovely. You are unlikely to get around the entire zoo with an 18 month old but any animals are usually a great delight for a toddler.

One of those places I keep meaning to go to, again, but keep putting it off. Balmoral beach over that way is nice too.

Archived