Moving dog and cat to the UK

knason

I have been in Aus for the last 2 and a half years and have come to the decision to move back to the UK to be with my mother who is ill. I have managed to become the owner for a cat and dog whilst I have been here as I wasn't planning on moving back at all! I need to start the process of vaccinations completely for both as I live in a very rural location and work 12 days on 2 days off so getting to the vet on time is tough. Just wondering about cost (I know its not going to be cheap!) and whether the complete cost consisted of vaccinations or purely the travel/company fees etc and any other information would be great!

Coming back is way easierthan going over.

the defra website should have al the information.

They need to be covered for rabies (single jab or two depending on manufacturer) this might be expensie there as I don't think it's a commonly used vaccine.

Other jabs should be done

Then an antiparasitic given 24-120 hours before landing in the UK (I think... I could be wrong) and no quarantine! yay!

Flights depend on the size of dog...

Our 20kg dog's box and flight is just under £2000

I'm just about to book three cats from Brisbane to Newcastle Upon Tyne with a pet transport company and the quotes are all around $5,000. They cover pick up from our home in Brisbane, the final vet check, crates, flights, one night's boarding etc. and I am responsible for having their vaccinations up to date. That means F3 or F4 for cats (some pet shippers accept F4 only) and C3 or C5 for dogs, plus rabies. My cats are up to date with their standard vax but rabies (which must be done a minimum 21 days before departure) is $140 per cat. You have to take them to an AQIS vet so you may have to travel a bit to find one in your area.

Just checked my quote and these are the standard things included:

Pick up residence Brisbane the dayprior to International travel

One night's complementary boarding

Purchase of 3 x IATA approvedtravel crates complete with soft and absorbent travel bedding and fitted withwatering system – PP30

Preparation of all exportdocumentation and airline reservations

Notification of Intention toExport documents sent to AQIS and AQIS accredited vet

Completion of International AirwayBill (AWB) and payment of export clearance fees in Australia

Transport to AQIS accredited vetfor pre export health clearance

Completion and collection of AQIShealth certificates and customs clearance documents

Airfreight Brisbane to Newcastleupon Tyne with British Airways via Sydney and Heathrow

Personal lodgement at theInternational freight terminal

Transit charge Singapore andcomfort stop Heathrow

You can opt to take your pets to the airport yourself which saves $88 in my case but we're going to have them collected for the convenience as that last day could be a bit full-on. There are also some variations between companies - some offer three nights free boarding, some offer delivery to residence in the UK and Jetpets include the rabies vax in their price so it's worth comparing each quote carefully. It is possible to DIY but we opted not to as I was worried a mistake on the paperwork for example would hold up the cats while we were en route and then we'd be stuck trying to sort it out from the other side of the world.

Hope that helps!

• 1 month later...

I booked with Animal Travel in the end - have been happy with the communication etc. so far. We are staying in HK on our way home so the cats will have a couple of days boarding with Animal travel so that they can leave Australia the day before we arrive in the UK. Hopefully it will all come together!

Good luck with your move @darkstone1975!

Archived