City and Guilds vs NVQ (Carpentry)

Sean Golding

Does anybody know if City and Guilds qualifications are recognised by Australia and what their equivalent level is or is it much more straightforward to try and gain NVQ? I am working towards my City and Guilds Level 3 Carpentry Diploma but I am not sure what level (if at all) this could be recognised at in the AQF. I am looking to stay and work in the trade here for 3 years and then go through the TRA skills assessment and hope that Carpentry is still on the SOL. (I am 27 and hope to get an IELTS 8 by then and go straight for PR). Also if it is ideally the NVQ3 that I need will I need to do 3 years from the date that is awarded or 3 years from the C & G Diploma.

Thanks

Hi,

I have a City and Guilds and Carpentey and Joinery both level 2 & 3. I passed my skills assessment and was awarded AQF III. Complete your level 3. No need for you to do NVQ. I got my City and Guilds through my CSCS card. Hope this helps

That's great thanks, did you do your skills assessment through TRA or VETTASSES? And did you do your qualification through apprenticeship or other means? I am just interested as I read somewhere that the skill level for a carpenter had to be AQF IV or AQF III alongside 2 years on the job training in order to qualify? I am currently doing a fast track course with Able Skills and was hoping to attempt to get the ball rolling in 3 years time once I have met the eligibility requirements for TRA.

Done it through TRA. Got the certificates via my CSCS card. It was an on site course. Was completed within 3 months for both. Not sure on how long you need to work as I've got 12 years of experience.

Excellent thanks for the reply, at least I am on the right track then assuming it isn't taken from the SOL in the next couple of years. TRA requires 3 years full time experience post qualification I believe, but I need them anyway for 5 points unless I could find a sponsor before that. May go and do a year in NZ on a working holiday visa in the meantime! Cheers