Declaring Minor Driving Offences on 189 Visa Application

srh82

I submitted my 189 visa application earlier this month.

I just read through my application and noticed a few questions which I have possibly misinterpreted.

I have answered No to the question: 'Has any applicant ever been convicted of a crime or offence in any country?' However, I have an SP30 speeding ticket dating back to 2011 which I managed to pick up in the UK for driving c.35 mph in a 30 mph speed limit.

The guidelines on the immi site state:

[h=3]If you are applying for temporary or permanent migration[/h]For the Australian Government to determine whether you are of good character, you might be asked to provide police certificates for each country you have lived in for 12 months or more, over the last 10 years, since turning 16 years of age.

You must declare all recorded offences to us. If you do not declare an offence and we become aware of this it might have a negative impact on your application.

Do not finalise any travel arrangements until after the grant of your visa. This is because visa processing times can vary depending on the visa type and your personal circumstances.

However, it says further down when following a link for Citizenship requirements (I appreciate that I am not applying to become a Citizen of Australia):

A conviction is a criminal charge leading to a guilty verdict in a court of law resulting in imprisonment or a fine or good behaviour bond. A traffic infringement, such as an on-the-spot speeding or parking fine is not considered a conviction.Does this mean that I need to declare my speeding ticket via the Form 1023?

I have no problem with doing that. I just want to understand whether I would be wasting the time of the Case Officer by doing so.

Thanks

Thanks for the comments. My police check came back fine.

I decided to be absolutely safe and fill out a Form 1023 to be absolutely clear about the SP30. It's evidently clear on my scanned paper counterpart UK license so for avoidance of any doubt I think this is the best way.

Thanks for the comments. My police check came back fine.

I decided to be absolutely safe and fill out a Form 1023 to be absolutely clear about the SP30. It's evidently clear on my scanned paper counterpart UK license so for avoidance of any doubt I think this is the best way.

Why have you uploaded your drivers licence?

Archived