189 Requirements for Engineers

duno

Hi everyone. I am new here and this is my first post, so if I broke any rules or made any mistakes, kindly guide me.

I posted this question on other forum and was redirect here, which I think may help me answer some questions I have. So this is my story.

I am from Malaysia and I graduated in B.Eng E&E from RMIT Australia back in Dec 2013. Long story short, things doesn't look good and I am unemployed until now.

Any engineers under the permanent resident visa subclass 189, I have a few questions. So far the following is what I have found out:

• I need to nominate an occupation from the SOL. I intend to nominate Electrical Engineer, but I do not have any skilled employment so far. As far as I know, nominated occupation =/= I am working or have worked as the occupation before. It is basically required for skill assessment and also just a filter for the government to select what kind of skilled migrant they want to take, right?
  • I need to obtain a skilled assessment from Engineers Australia. I have talked to EA regarding the assessment and they said the skilled employment assessment is optional. They also said that with my RMIT degree, a standard AEQ assessment is sufficient to get a positive result.
  • The minimum points required to pass the skill test is 60. Based on the table given by DIBP, I have broken it down to the following:

2017-05-16_13-48-30.png

Note: This one is tricky. As stated in DIBP website:

"One or more degrees, diplomas or trade qualifications awarded by an Australian educational institution and meet the Australian study requirement"

I am guessing my RMIT degree falls under this description?

The rest is not relevant to my situation.

Now my total point is already 50 and I have no work experience. If everything goes by the book, I resit IELTS and get at least score of 7, I will get another 10 points and I will pass the minimum points required for 189.

Does that mean theoretically I can get a PR without work? What will be my chances of getting invited? Any comment or advice is greatly appreciated. :ssign16:

Hi everyone. I am new here and this is my first post, so if I broke any rules or made any mistakes, kindly guide me.

I posted this question on other forum and was redirect here, which I think may help me answer some questions I have. So this is my story.

I am from Malaysia and I graduated in B.Eng E&E from RMIT Australia back in Dec 2013. Long story short, things doesn't look good and I am unemployed until now.

Any engineers under the permanent resident visa subclass 189, I have a few questions. So far the following is what I have found out:

• I need to nominate an occupation from the SOL. I intend to nominate Electrical Engineer, but I do not have any skilled employment so far. As far as I know, nominated occupation =/= I am working or have worked as the occupation before. It is basically required for skill assessment and also just a filter for the government to select what kind of skilled migrant they want to take, right?

• I need to obtain a skilled assessment from Engineers Australia. I have talked to EA regarding the assessment and they said the skilled employment assessment is optional. They also said that with my RMIT degree, a standard AEQ assessment is sufficient to get a positive result.

• The minimum points required to pass the skill test is 60. Based on the table given by DIBP, I have broken it down to the following:

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]Factor[/TD]

[TD]Description[/TD]

[TD]Points[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Age[/TD]

[TD]I am 25[/TD]

[TD]30[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]English[/TD]

[TD]My IELTS lowest score is 6.5[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Skilled Employment[/TD]

[TD]I have none[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Qualification[/TD]

[TD]I have an Australian degree[/TD]

[TD]15[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Australian Study Requirement[/TD]

[TD]See note below[/TD]

[TD]5 (?)[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Note: This one is tricky. As stated in DIBP website:

"One or more degrees, diplomas or trade qualifications awarded by an Australian educational institution and meet the Australian study requirement"

I am guessing my RMIT degree falls under this description?

The rest is not relevant to my situation.

Now my total point is already 50 and I have no work experience. If everything goes by the book, I resit IELTS and get at least score of 7, I will get another 10 points and I will pass the minimum points required for 189.

Does that mean theoretically I can get a PR without work? What will be my chances of getting invited? Any comment or advice is greatly appreciated. :ssign16:

Yes. An engineer who has a Washington Accord qualification can get a positive skills assessment without ever having worked as an engineer.

In order to have met the Australian Study requirement for points, you must have completed in no less than 16 calendar months either: a single qualification requiring at least two academic years study or more than one qualification resulting in a total period of at least two academic years study. You must have done the degree while physically in Australia - a degree studied overseas even though it is awarded by an Australian educational institution is not eligible. It isn't clear from what you've written if you did your degree with RMIT in Australia or overseas.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/2-year-study.htm The ASR

If you meet the Australian Study Requirement, have a positive skills assessment and resit IELTS until you have achieved a score of at least all 7s in a single test, you will have 60 points and will be able to submit an EOI for a 189 visa. If you don't meet the ASR, you will need to score all 8s in IELTS. If you submit an EOI for a 189 with 60 points, you will get an invitation to apply for a visa, probably within a few weeks.

If you could get state sponsorship for a 190 visa, the 5 points for that would get you to 60 points with only IELTS 7s but I doubt if any state will sponsor an engineer with no work experience.

Yes. An engineer who has a Washington Accord qualification can get a positive skills assessment without ever having worked as an engineer.

In order to have met the Australian Study requirement for points, you must have completed in no less than 16 calendar months either: a single qualification requiring at least two academic years study or more than one qualification resulting in a total period of at least two academic years study. You must have done the degree while physically in Australia - a degree studied overseas even though it is awarded by an Australian educational institution is not eligible. It isn't clear from what you've written if you did your degree with RMIT in Australia or overseas.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/2-year-study.htm The ASR

If you meet the Australian Study Requirement, have a positive skills assessment and resit IELTS until you have achieved a score of at least all 7s in a single test, you will have 60 points and will be able to submit an EOI for a 189 visa. If you don't meet the ASR, you will need to score all 8s in IELTS. If you submit an EOI for a 189 with 60 points, you will get an invitation to apply for a visa, probably within a few weeks.

If you could get state sponsorship for a 190 visa, the 5 points for that would get you to 60 points with only IELTS 7s but I doubt if any state will sponsor an engineer with no work experience.

Thank you very much for the clarification. :notworthy:

Now I remember, I have read about the 2 years requirement somewhere.

Sorry for the vague post. I transferred 4 semesters equivalent of credits from Malaysia back in 2011, and attended RMIT in Melbourne from June 2011 to December 2013, completed all 5 semesters while I am physically in Australia. So by the definition, I am qualified to get the 5 points, right?

I do not intend to get a sponsorship, either 190 or 457, because I am not very certain I will be able to get it. Seeing that my situation is not looking good, I intend to work as other jobs than engineering to get some experience first (I am on 476 now), while in the meantime I am trying to determine whether I can get a PR before finding an engineering job, and your reply has pretty much clear up my doubts. I will work hard to get a better IELTS score.

Does a marginal pass of 60 points make me at the bottom of the list? As far as I know, my lack of work experience is not a good sign, since the whole point of this point test is to bring in skilled migrants. Isn't getting an invitation to apply for a visa within weeks a bit too optimistic? How long will it generally take to finally be granted the 189?

Archived