Timeframe to apply for Contributory Parent Visa

harmitraj

Hi...

Need some help on Contributory Parent Visa. My son is an australian PR. He was living and working in Adelaide for 1 and a half years but had to leave to Australia to accompany his wife to work in Vietnam for a year. He is currently back in Australia and is working and living in Brisbane. So in total, he has lived and worked in Australia for 2 years.

Do I qualify to apply for the parent visa now? I meet all the other criteria but am unsure of this "A sponsoring child is usually considered to be “settled” in Australia if s/he is has lived lawfully in Australia for at least 2 years."

Thank-you.

Guest MigrateAustralia

Hello,

Your son may be able to show that despite the time spent in Vietnam, he is still 'settled' in Australia. This would mean showing the time spent living here in total, as well as his current ties such as property, employment, schooling, bank accounts/financial assets, and family in Australia. I would also suggest explaining that the time spent overseas was due to his wife's employment, and they have always had the intention to reside in Australia permanently.

All the best.

Warm regards,

Christel

Archived