moving household goods

Guest paperman2006

Guest paperman2006

hello again , when making the move to aus could you tell me the norm on moving belongings , do you take all you own like furniture or sell here , what are the prices of furniture in aus ?, any veiws welcome . tnx.

Guest Fraser
hello again , when making the move to aus could you tell me the norm on moving belongings , do you take all you own like furniture or sell here , what are the prices of furniture in aus ?, any veiws welcome . tnx.

My view... bring everything you cherish. For almost anything you don't, you will buy here more cheaply than in the UK.

Minimise the elctrical goods (although most work here, insurance complanies wil have an exclusion clause on "Electrical Derangement" or something equally silly.

Don't bring tellies... unless they are digital input.

Bring your computer...to get back on line ASAP 8)

Guest scott&lisa

I agree with Fraser, that's exactly what we did! :)

Thing is even if you do send out all your furniture and electricals - unless you time it perfectly and have your goods sent out a few months before you so they are here waiting for you when you arrive in Oz, you will have a short period of time without anything and so will have to buy bits to keep you going as I don't think there are many "fully furnished" rentals around (not that I have seen anyway - I could be wrong!!)

So why not buy new when you get here? It's great fun and you find out where all the best places to buy are!! :D

I'm sure some people will disagree, in the end it depends on how attached you are to your belongings in the UK!!

Good Luck

Lisa.

Guest spray21

Also depends how much spare cash you have to re-furnish your household. Some things may be cheaper down under (although not everything is, a lot of things seem a similar price where I have checked online) but even with cheaper prices if you choose to repurchase everything then it will add up to a lot of dollars very quickly! Plus a lot of people talk about how comforting it can be to have familiar things around you when you arrive in a totally new place.

Try getting a few quotes for transporting your things over, then do some online shopping and see what you could afford to buy new in Oz for the same money. Then decide! There is no correct answer, just do what you feel is best for you.

Archived