Whats it like living in Port Stephens?

TDavies

Hi

Me and my wife are moving over in August to Port Stephens, we were just wondering what its like? Is it as good as it sounds? what are the best suburbs? We are wanting to be close to the water as possible. Any ideas/views would be appreciated

Thanks

Tom

Hi

Me and my wife are moving over in August to Port Stephens, we were just wondering what its like? Is it as good as it sounds? what are the best suburbs? We are wanting to be close to the water as possible. Any ideas/views would be appreciated

Thanks

Tom

Ive been twice for weekends. Loved it the first time. Second time found it a bit boring. I think its a great

place if you want a quiet laid back life with easy access to great beaches and fishing. There is a very large retirement community there. Very little nightlife aside from a massive new RSL. Newcastle is about an hour away. Do you have work lined up?

A laid back life sounds good. We thought that might be the case in regards to the nightlife but I'm t total so we can drive for a night out! We've not got work sorted yet I'm starting to contact people now in sport/fitness and my wife is looking for primary teaching/inclusion leader jobs so she'll have to wait until closer before the jobs come out for a January start. Is it an hour to Newcastle or is this an aussie hour and will take a bit longer?

Thanks

Tom

A laid back life sounds good. We thought that might be the case in regards to the nightlife but I'm t total so we can drive for a night out! We've not got work sorted yet I'm starting to contact people now in sport/fitness and my wife is looking for primary teaching/inclusion leader jobs so she'll have to wait until closer before the jobs come out for a January start. Is it an hour to Newcastle or is this an aussie hour and will take a bit longer?

Thanks

Tom

The couple of times I've done it it has been an hour from Nelson Bay to Newcastle CBD. However, this been Sunday afternoon, not what it would be like on a weekday.

We have been there lots of times ... Love the place , so much so that we are looking to perhaps move up there and join the retirees in a couple of years time ... For us it ticks all the boxes , it is realistically an hour from Newcastle , not just on a quiet Sunday , there is an airport just 30 mins away , and good bus service too connecting with trains at Newcastle to Sydney etc..... It is maybe a bit quiet for some , but that suits us fine ..... Like all locations , I would recommend an exploration trip to check out prior to commitment ..

Dave C

Me and my wife are moving over in August to Port Stephens, we were just wondering what its like? Is it as good as it sounds? what are the best suburbs?

Port Stephens is a very small place so I don't think it even has suburbs, really! It's all close to the water - but you need to decide if you want to be close to the sheltered bay or the open surf. I love it for holidays but I wonder if it would be too quiet to stay long-term. It is commutable to Newcastle if you don't mind an hour's drive.

Thank you, an hours commute is fine with me I do it now here. I was under the impression there was different suburbs which seems to link to the different bays. As far as the quiet life we were thinking it seemed to have good links so if were in dire need of more life we could get to Newcastle relatively easy. We were under the impression that there is a similar percentage of families in the area? I think we will have a trip before commiting to a house but we will stay close to Newcastle as it seems to offer a great lifestyle with more affordable housing.

Port Stephens is fab but will be very quiet. It's only 30 minutes from Newcastle though, and 2 and a bit hours from Sydney.

There are some parts that are better than others although I'm not sure of them. If you don't get more info on here and if you are on Facebook, search Newcastle & Hunter Expats for more specific info.

Thank you, an hours commute is fine with me I do it now here. I was under the impression there was different suburbs which seems to link to the different bays.

They aren't suburbs, they're separate townships.

http://www.portstephens.org.au/about-port-stephens/townships

When you say "commit to a house", it's a really bad idea to commit to a house from the UK. There are just as many unscrupulous real estate agents in Australia as in the UK and you can be too easily misled by pretty pictures on a website.

Book some holiday accommodation for a few weeks - you'll find plenty in the area, especially if you can plan to arrive outside NSW school holidays when there's plenty of vacancies.

Yeah sorry I was meaning to rent first but would be looking at holiday accommodation/ rentals in the first instance until we get our bearings. Your right though some of the houses seem to good to be true for the prices. Do you know any townships that are better, more lively than others?

Yeah sorry I was meaning to rent first but would be looking at holiday accommodation/ rentals in the first instance until we get our bearings. Your right though some of the houses seem to good to be true for the prices. Do you know any townships that are better, more lively than others?

Why don't you book holiday accomodation for a couple of weeks then look around?

There are plenty of great areas in the Newcastle / Port Stephens area.

It's a long time since I've been there but Shoal Bay, Nelson Bay are where most of the shops and amenities are.

It's a long time since I've been there but Shoal Bay, Nelson Bay are where most of the shops and amenities are.

Theres a major shopping centre at Salamander .... I think its called the " Salamander Shopping Centre " .. It has all the main shops , banks etc . Its located on Bagnall Beach Rd ..

Dave C

Archived