Full medicare card vs reciprocal health cover

Guest Vixenpops

Guest Vixenpops

Can anyone please let me know what the difference is between a full medicare card and a reciprocal card

Not the card itself as I understand that but what benefits are covered under each and what are excluded

I have asked medicare but am getting "fluffy" answers like "emergency care" with no definition of what that means

I was on a reciprocal card for five years. I never found anything I wasn't covered for (dental and ambulance the same as Aussies). I even got an eye test every two years!

I had infections treated, smear tests done etc.

My husband had one thing which wasn't covered, which was a chest X-ray after he'd had bad chest infections for ages and had rattly sounding lungs, but they said he'd of had to pay for that through full Medicare too as it wasn't actually needed.

Guest guest73691

The only difference I've noticed so far is that blood tests at the pathology centre my doctor has sent me to are bulk billed for anyone with full Medicare cards, but not reciprocal cards. I was able to claim some of this back from Medicare, but nowhere near the amount which was charged.

The only difference I've noticed so far is that blood tests at the pathology centre my doctor has sent me to are bulk billed for anyone with full Medicare cards, but not reciprocal cards. I was able to claim some of this back from Medicare, but nowhere near the amount which was charged.

That seems to depend on the blood tests and can cost you even with full Medicare. I never had to pay for a blood test on reciprocal card.

Guest Vixenpops

Example

My relative needed an ultrasound and a steroid injection

So did my husband

My relative was charged $300 contribution for hers out of pocket on reciprocal

My hubby was charged nothing as Oz citizen on full medicare

Same place did them both and exact same treatment only weeks apart

Guest guest73691
That seems to depend on the blood tests and can cost you even with full Medicare. I never had to pay for a blood test on reciprocal card.

Yes, maybe it depends on provider as well. They didn't seem familiar with reciprocal cards.

Yes, maybe it depends on provider as well. They didn't seem familiar with reciprocal cards.

Yes it definetly does. I was refered for an ultrasound and the place my dr refered it was I think about $300 for a blood test and ultra sound. I googled for bulk billing ultrasound places and got it all done for free. That's in a full Medicare card, but different places definetly charge different amounts. Just remember you can take your referral to other places if you can find a cheaper/ free place.