Social worker

suzybear

Hello! I have been a silent observer of pio for nearly 4 years and ummed and arred about relocating on and off since this time! However , i have decided to make my first post as I am now nearly at my decision but would like some advice on jobs . I am a social worker (5 years qualified) and currently work in child protection for the police, hubby is training to be an electrician and currently works in events lightening . A lot of uk social workers seem to know someone who has worked in oz and say it is behind the uk approach however I wanted to know from people who are doing the job - what is it like? Are there many jobs out there in cities such as Sydney/ Perth? Is the pay okay ? Are teams set up similarly here like r&a, then child in need etc. I have found a fair few things out such as not having to be qualified to work as a social worker however would like some advice/reassurance/ realism about how people have actually found it! Thanks in advance , suz

Hi

I am a social worker too,looking to emigrate. From my research I would say that if you work in child protection there is definitely plenty of work, and the pay rates seem to be higher. However this is relative to the cost of living.

The easiest thing to do seems to be to register with agencies, I have been looking in Melbourne though.

• 1 month later...

I too am a cp sw and hoping to go to sydney. I currently live in ni but work in republic of ireland.I met with some staff when on a reccie and it would seem there is a very similar process but the criterion a d thresholds differ.

certainly the monitoring of the fostering or kinship placements seem very stark and barren in comparison to my experience. Eg the selection criteria for becoming a fp and the policing and checking of this placement is not robust.

all hearsay I accept as I have not worked there myself but nonetheless is what is reported to me. The are many NGO jobs working with children, assure you have done your own research being 4yr looking but the police social work roles seem good but are like hens teeth.

It is city social work so there will be a difference for me to look forward to.

I too am a cp sw and hoping to go to sydney. I currently live in ni but work in republic of ireland.I met with some staff when on a reccie and it would seem there is a very similar process but the criterion a d thresholds differ.

certainly the monitoring of the fostering or kinship placements seem very stark and barren in comparison to my experience. Eg the selection criteria for becoming a fp and the policing and checking of this placement is not robust.

all hearsay I accept as I have not worked there myself but nonetheless is what is reported to me. The are many NGO jobs working with children, assure you have done your own research being 4yr looking but the police social work roles seem good but are like hens teeth.

It is city social work so there will be a difference for me to look forward to.

Hi I am a team manager on a joint child protection police family violence team and I love it.

Things are very different here from the UK but are certainly improving, I would often find myself trying to compare the two countries when I first got her but have found it better to accept things are very different . I am based in a regional area of Vic so can't give you info about the metro areas, but feel free to message me if I can help in any way

Lou

• 5 weeks later...

I am a social worker in wales and have been for 6 years. I am emigrating on the 8th of March 2015 and am in search of a job. Most of my experience has been in Adult services. I have reigistered with Reed social care and another agency. Can anyone els advise on where I might apply.

• 1 month later...
Hi I am a team manager on a joint child protection police family violence team and I love it.

Things are very different here from the UK but are certainly improving, I would often find myself trying to compare the two countries when I first got her but have found it better to accept things are very different . I am based in a regional area of Vic so can't give you info about the metro areas, but feel free to message me if I can help in any way

Lou

havent been on in a while and just seen your post. Thanks!

Archived