Thirty six degrees out west in Sydney today?!

MARYROSE02

My friend just phoned me with that news. I think it is 'only' 30 degrees in the City.

My flat here in Surry Hills seems to be OK in the heat and lying in bed with thick quilt I feel rather comfy!

Dave the bludger has not gone to work again. My cold is hanging around though with a bit of a cough, (Syd) S@#t and headache.

I should get up if only for a coffee in the cafe about 20m from my front door.

uploadfromtaptalk1412051793648.jpg

The view from my bed (if I opened the blinds.)

uploadfromtaptalk1412051793648.jpg

I would have felt the difference had I gone to work today, as it is always warmer in Penrith, and often I leave Penrith in the heat, get on the air conditioned train, and 50 minutes later, get off into relative cold.

I did go down to Juice and Java cafe for my lunch and my flat felt cool enough to warrant a jacket, but outside and in the cafe it was H.O.T!

That is Elizabeth Street just beyond my courtyard fence, with the cafe on the right, and turn right for Central railway - ten minutes walk - and the CBD - twenty minutes walk.

I would have felt the difference had I gone to work today, as it is always warmer in Penrith, and often I leave Penrith in the heat, get on the air conditioned train, and 50 minutes later, get off into relative cold.

I did go down to Juice and Java cafe for my lunch and my flat felt cool enough to warrant a jacket, but outside and in the cafe it was H.O.T!

That is Elizabeth Street just beyond my courtyard fence, with the cafe on the right, and turn right for Central railway - ten minutes walk - and the CBD - twenty minutes walk.

Do you commute from Surrey Hills to Penrith then? That seems a long trip! I'm Penrith area but work locally at the moment, don't know if a long commute would be my thing!

Do you commute from Surrey Hills to Penrith then? That seems a long trip! I'm Penrith area but work locally at the moment, don't know if a long commute would be my thing!

I whinge about it, but it is not that bad, as long as I can get the Blue Mts train. On my 3pm starts, I've got good good train times, with the 1.48 from Central getting to Penrith about 2.40, so I've got time for a quick bit of shopping and getting a coffee before work. I finish at 7pm and the train back does not leave until 7.35, which drags out the time, although I wander around Westfield, maybe get a hot chocolate at San Churro, as I did last night, or a beer in the Red Cow.

I'd prefer a job in the City but I like this one, and jobs have been hard to come by. Plenty of people in Penrith and the Blue Mts commute to Sydney (and further) to work. I guess if you live in Katoomba, you are looking at two hour each way trips? It's often the 'add-on' time to the actual train ride that makes it worse. You know, I leave at 1.30, walk to Central - ten minutes, have half an hour to wait in the evening, then the walk back home. Plenty of people have to drive or get a bus to the station, and maybe change trains or get a bus when they get to Central.

One of my workmates lives in Katoomba and I sometimes arrange to meet him in Westfield for lunch before work. Half your luck if you can live and work in the same area! Which suburb do you live in? I've done a bit of 'exploring' since I started working in Penrith.

I'm not in Katoomba, only around 10 minutes from Penrith in one of the 'burbs'! It's ok as an hour to the mountains and an hour and 10 to the beach!

I've been commuting to Penrith for three years now, and I've got to like it.**** I don't often drive there, but when I do, I like to have a drive round before I head back to the city. I've stopped for a drink at Penrith Gaels, St Mary's RSL. the pub at Wallacia. I doubt if I'd even go to the beach if I lived at Penrith. Even when I lived at my brother's place in Picnic Point, I just used his pool. and Penrith you have the Blue Mts on your doorstep.

**** No more jokes about 'Westies' from me! (I used to say that 'The Western Suburbs' meant 'Leichhardt!)

Archived