Asking an employer to sponsor on ENS when on a 457

AJ235

Hi all,

Just after some advice on how to approach my employer to ask them to sponsor me for PR on the ENS. I am currently sponsored on a 457 and this is valid until 2018. I have been with my employer for 6 months. My husband and I have been living in Australia for 2 years next month and we would really love to stay here permanently. My job is on the CSOL so I cannot apply independently, however I do have a positive skills assessment.

I have a very good relationship with my employer, however I want to have a good case to put forward before I ask them! Do they need to meet any additional requirements to have the nomination approved other than what they went through for the 457?

Also, for anyone who has went through this before is they anything more beneficial to the employer to sponsor on the ENS rather than the 457 and do you think it would be better to go through a migration agent if the employer agreed?

Many thanks

AJ

From an employer's perspective, the positive is that they are no longer obligated to pay your return airfare if you choose to return home or your 457 is cancelled. From a negative perspective, you are no longer as tied to them as your visa is no longer bound by the condition of the nominating sponsor.

Be prepared to offer to pay all the associated costs if they are reluctant to sponsor. Or you may have to look into state sponsorship if they simply refuse.

Archived