Alternatives to Movecube?

Aunt Agatha

I'm thinking about not using a Movecube (gasp!) for our move BTTUK but I'm wondering what the alternatives are? We won't be shipping enough for a shipping container but after marking out the area yesterday, it looks like we could be shipping more than a movecube. Obviously we could just get two Movecubes but I was wondering if there was something in between?

Cheers Cal, that's good feedback. I just had a quote through from OSS and it's $3,600 for 12sqm - does that sound about right? It also says that professional packing is included in the price. How does that work? Do you loiterally just walk round your house pointing to stuff you want packed or do you have to have it all pretty much packed for them bar putting the stuff in boxes?

It was a few years ago now, so cant recall prices but with the packing, i just put everything we were taking in the corner of 1 room and they just packed into their company boxes. Anything delicate i bubble wrapped ready for them, and they just wrapped white paper around it so it was 'doubley' protected,lol

Cal x

I got the best quote from Trans International. We are moving more than one MoveCube but slightly less than two. I asked if packing was included but they said it would be extra, I was confused over what I call packing and they call packing. I meant packing item by item, they meant furniture and palleting boxes with shrink wrap. Who knew. Good Luck Aunt Agatha.

Cheers Cal, that's good feedback. I just had a quote through from OSS and it's $3,600 for 12sqm - does that sound about right? It also says that professional packing is included in the price. How does that work? Do you loiterally just walk round your house pointing to stuff you want packed or do you have to have it all pretty much packed for them bar putting the stuff in boxes?

We had the full packing service, by the time it was done most of the furniture and other stuff we weren't taking back had been sold but essentially when the guys arrived they just asked us what was going from each room. With things like crockery etc. I placed the stuff that we were taking on top of the kitchen surfaces and left the stuff we weren't taking in the cupboards.

A couple of things accidentally got packed and we had a 'if it fits' pile too, which they managed to fit in....blether and a few freebies helped ;)

We had pre-packed the boxes bar the fragile items but we had opted for 'self-pack' other than fragile - it didn't save us a huge amount but it was actually easier to separate what we were keeping and what we weren't that way. Our container went a month before us, so we packed up our cases/bags for the last month (weighed carefully for the flight!) and then sorted the rest into ship or sell/sling (some stuff we kept for the last month and slung right at the end).

We had a garage sale after the container had gone and we'd taken our bags to the temporary accommodation, it worked well that way as basically it was a 'house and garage' sale and people just came and picked over what was left in each room. What was left after that got either put on the verge or taken to the op shop. I was amazed at what people would buy though, and even more amazed at what got took from the verge (& what didn't - we had a huge inflatable pool, with cover, filter etc. and we couldn't give it away, it was winter though!)

Professional packing often includes unpacking at the other end too :) If you're paying for it make sure you get it! We missed a trick there on our move over. You might not want them to put things in cupboards etc. but getting everything unwrapped and the paper/boxes etc. taken away helps.

Thanks @Yorkshire13, I'll make sure to check what they mean by packing!

Thanks @Lady Raincorn that's a really good way to organise things, I think we will take a leaf out of your book and do the same. Unpacking would be great, even just for the removal of all the packing stuff as you say.

We're going round the house with a notepad today writing down everything we want to take and we'll see where we are at after that. It actually isn't much in the way of furniture but things like books and kids' stuff is going to take up a fair bit of space.

Archived