Separate shipping insurance

Wen66

I am currently getting quotes from the shipping companies but their rates are very high..eg 3.7 % highest so far!

I read here somewhere that it is more advisable to get separate insurance from your shipping company. The shipping company are pushing theirs quite hard, saying it covers everything, no quibbles etc etc.

But we are finding a grand a big hard to stomach on insurance.

Anyone out the other side with experiences, good or bad??

Cheers.x

We have been looking at marine insurance for our move and IYM has said with sets & pairs they still would only pay for the one item if a claim was to be made due to damage during move. The company we have decided to move with say their sets & pairs would mean full replacement of set should one item in a set be damaged. IYM advised we check policies with shipping company as the fine print is usually not to replace the set or pairs just the one damaged item. So confusing and also a question of why would you bother to insure for sets and pairs if the cover really wasn't for what the title leads you to believe?!!

So my question is can we insure certain items with our shipping company for sets and pairs (as we would be covered fully expense wise should there be an issue with one whole wine glass) & insure the rest of our move with IYM.

Please help with any info you might have!

Many Thanks

Guest Guest62720

I am a Director of Insure-Your-Move.com

Hopefully, we can clarify the specific point you have raised.

IYM's policy does NOT include cover for Pairs & Sets. We are quite clear on this, so if you have one crystal glass broken in a set of 8 then Insurers will only pay you for the one damaged glass. If it cannot be replaced then they will make a monetary allowance in lieu. They will not make any payment in respect of any undamaged items.

Other Policies we have reviewed are less clear and are very ambiguous and we understand the confusion this may cause. One such Policy we read states they include Pairs & Sets coverage but the actual wording reads as follows '' Pairs and Sets cover is also provided when loss of one item means the other item(s) is no longer able to function as intended.''

We interpret this to mean that if you have one broken crystal glass out of set of 8 they won't pay out for the other 7 glasses as these can still function as intended. Hardly worth paying the additional premium to buy this cover in our opinion.

We strongly recommend you carefully check the wording where any Policy states it is offering cover for Pairs & Sets and if you remain unsure then we are always amenable to offer guidance if needs be.

Sometimes by not having the cover means you know exactly where you stand from the outset whereas you may be led into believing you are buying the cover which is not really there or does not afford you the actual protection you were seeking.

As for insuring some goods with one insurer who may offer some form of Pairs & Sets cover you will need to speak to them but most insurers we work tend to require you to insure all your goods being shipped and not just a selected few.

We hope this gives you some clarity to your question and not simply confuses the matter further !

I've heard that a lot of the Insurance policies aren't too good... Lots have had significant problems when trying to claim after damages etc.. The small print on these needs very close attention, I would think.. Some on here have decided not to bother with the insurance due to this, and had no issues.. Obviously, you need to start praying regularly and hope that your container doesn't fall off the ship altogether, leaving you with nothing.. I'm still torn at the moment, between independent and none... Shippers arriving on Monday...:wacko:

Guest Guest62720

Insurers are now highly regulated and they have no reason to delay matters in respect of any claim which fall within the Terms and Conditions of the Policy. Both Letton Percival and ourselves are independent and are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority where as the removers are not regulated (as insurance is not their prime activity) and this is where I suspect some of the issues may arise. Regulation requires each company to have a very strong and robust service response when it comes to claims.

We can understand you questioning whether to buy insurance but it is like the lifeboat analogy - ''hopefully you will never need to use them but when you do you're glad they were on board''.

Archived