Tax on Importing Prestige Cars

Guest Liz

Hi

I would be grateful if anyone can advice me on the tax you have to pay when taking prestige cars to Oz.

Thanks

Guest pasha02

Hi i am currently waying up the options of should i/should'nt i import my car to oz, a lot of the costs involved depend on what type of car you have, i got a quote from karmann shipping they were very helpful they gave me another couple of contacts who also provided some great info, the following are some of the costs involved, hope this was of some help.

Regards

Paul.

Charges you can expect to pay for the Customs and Quarantine clearance of your motor vehicle shipped in a full 40’container (FCL);

Port charges AUD 525.00 excluding overseas terminal handling

Unpack of container AUD 790.00

Vehicle Valuation for customs value AUD 200.00 per vehicle.

Customs Clearance formalities AUD 195.00

Quarantine fees AUD 132.50

Steam Cleaning (if vehicle is ordered to be washed by Quarantine.) AUD 275.00 per vehicle per hour. (1 hour is a normal clean time. We have had some vehicles that have taken 8 hours to clean)

Australian Quarantine and Inspection Depot fee AUD 145.00

Quarantine Inspection AUD 95.00

Storage Approx AUD 180.00

All Customs fees are passed on at cost.

Charges you can expect to pay for the Customs and Quarantine clearance of your motor vehicle shipped in a full 20’container (FCL);

Port charges AUD 400.00 excluding overseas terminal handling

Unpack of container AUD 590.00

Vehicle Valuation for customs value AUD 200.00

Customs Clearance formalities AUD 195.00

Quarantine fees AUD 132.50

Steam Cleaning (if vehicle is ordered to be washed by Quarantine.) AUD 275.00 per vehicle per hour. (1 hour is a normal clean time. We have had some vehicles that have taken 8 hours to clean)

Australian Quarantine and Inspection Depot fee AUD 145.00

Quarantine Inspection AUD 95.00

Storage Approx AUD 180.00

All Customs fees are passed on at cost.

Thanks for that Paul

I don't suppose you've looked into the taxes you have to pay? If I have worked it out properly (and I'm not sure if I have) I think it would cost me roughly £15000 to £18000, I just wondered if anyone could verify this for me.

Cheers Liz

Guest pasha02

Hi Liz,

We have a Bmw X5 and here the value has plummeted, but over in Oz they have held their value quite well, so my car would be valued at $40000 and the taxes i was quoted was $8750, the way they work it is all dependant on the value of your car, is it deemed a luxury vehicle etc, the following text is from the document that Karmann Shipping sent me you should be able to work out the costs from that i think :wacko: it really is quite confusing, i really want to take my car but the process is really daunting and to be honest the only bit i am sure of is you need to get a personal import form from DoTaRs before you start anything.......Hope this was some help if you have anymore questions dont hesitate to ask i will try my best.....

Regards

Paul

Australian Import Taxes on most cars are 10% Duty (5% for ‘off road’ 4wd vehicles) and 10% Gst. Duty is paid on the customs value and Gst is paid on the total of the customs value + duty + cost of shipment. Usually the Customs Value is based on the Australian ‘as landed’ value which can be as low as half of the actual Australian market value. In only very few cases, if a vehicle was purchased before March 1998, then the CV is based on the UK purchase price less a depreciation allowance.

Valuation method advice can be obtained from Australian Customs and the destination clearance agent can recommend a local valuer for an ‘as landed’ valuation estimate. An initial guide to the full Australian market value is available at www.redbook.com.au.

Items packed inside a car travel free of charge. A list of goods is required by customs and quarantine and these would be cleared separately from the vehicle.

A guide to the costs would be £1,500-£1,700 shipping, £100-£300 shipment protection, A$2,250-A$2,750 in Australia excluding taxes, annual registration and insurance

Hi Paul

Thanks for your info, I have the same problem if I sold my car here I would lose quite a lot on it, but in Oz its worth a lot more. Its just all the hassle of getting it over there and taxes etc.

Where are you off to and what stage are you at?

Cheers

Liz

Guest pasha02

Hey Liz,

Still got my head buried in all the car import ins/outs, it is really frying my head, my wife actually hit upon the idea of asking the emigration lawyer if he knew/ could simplify the whole process so we are waiting to hear back from him, so if it suddenly becomes a whole lot clearer i will forward any detais post haste.

We are going out to Brisbane on a 457 visa (makes the car issue a bit more complicated), we are hoping to be out there around the end of Aug this year, its all dependent on when we sell our house, it went on the market on mon, and we have had 3 couples view it already so fingers crossed...

What about you, when and where are you planning to go?

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul

We're hopefully off in September to Sydney. Have had the house on the market for about 6 weeks but only two viewings so far, nothing seems to be moving at the minute. We are looking at possibly renting or leaving the house on the market because how long do you wait, we could still be here in a years time.

We're still awaiting our CO which we thought we would have had by now.

Have got a removal company coming out this week for a qoute so I'm going to ask them about my car, they should know about costs and taxes.

Cheers

Liz

Archived