Accommodation on arrival in Melbourne. How and what did you find??

theonlyangus

Im going to start this thread out of interest and see what experience people have had in finding accommodation when arriving in Melbourne.

When we arrived in January 2012 we had a short term fully furnished 3 bedroom house in Ringwood at a cost of around $900 - $1000 per week

I booked this place while we were still in the U.K and to be honest I found it hard to find a place to rent for us on arrival.

Im interested in hearing peoples feedback .

Thanks

Angus

• 9 months later...

Hi all. We are a family of 3 (2Adults 1 Child under 5) looking to move to Melbourne on the 5th Dec 2015 stupid time I know but start my new job on the 3rd Jan 2016. I am going out to Oz in November for 1 week for training to return home and fly back out with the family the following week. Is it possible for us to look for somewhere to rent when I go out in November or will it need to wait till we all come out. Also If I go to view properties before we all move out can I do the rest remotely i.e. set up moving in date and what not before we all leave or will I have to find somewhere to rent on a short term basis ?

If we need to go down the short term rental route does anyone have any ideas of where to start with that ?

Thanks in advance

Hi all. We are a family of 3 (2Adults 1 Child under 5) looking to move to Melbourne on the 5th Dec 2015 stupid time I know but start my new job on the 3rd Jan 2016. I am going out to Oz in November for 1 week for training to return home and fly back out with the family the following week. Is it possible for us to look for somewhere to rent when I go out in November or will it need to wait till we all come out. Also If I go to view properties before we all move out can I do the rest remotely i.e. set up moving in date and what not before we all leave or will I have to find somewhere to rent on a short term basis ?

If we need to go down the short term rental route does anyone have any ideas of where to start with that ?

Thanks in advance

Hi, yes you could look for somewhere in November and I recommend you do. Summer is the flat tack busiest time for short-term accommodation and if you need short term accommodation in Melbourne in January you should be booking it now, many places will already be booked out for the whole summer.

You cannot rent a long-term rental in Melbourne without you or your appointed representative (eg a friend) seeing it and signing the docs. If you want to rent in a popular area you may be competing with several other people for the property.

BB

• 4 months later...

Hi All,

As you can see I'm new to this forum, however I've read many posts on it and find them interesting reading. Having started the plan of moving to Australia earlier this year, now find myself in a position of needing to be there mid December. Our UK house is sold, job start late Jan with two children ages 7 and 10 and hubby. like ljruss2013 all of a sudden the hectic get sorted is kicking in. Now hurridly looking for somewhere to rent anywhere within Melbourne, struggling to find time to go and come back.

If ljruss is reading would like to know how you got on. Once things have settled here I will look on the forum for accommodation. Any suggestions please feel free.

Thanks in advance.

Lini

Archived