Moving to Mornington/Mount Eliza September 2014

lol1584

Hi Everyone,

We are originally from London and My Husband and I are moving to Mornington/Mount Eliza area after renting in Hampton for a few years. We are in our early thirties and really want to give it a go over here.

We are excited but yet nervous as we do not know anyone in the area.

Does anyone have any ideas or information that you could share with us with regards to meeting people or joining social groups?

Thanks

Lauren

I don't know Melbourne very well and I just looked in my atlas to see where Mornington is - to the south of Melbourne itself and on the water? I've got a feeling I did actually drive along that water's edge a couple of years back, when I went down the Princes Highway from Sydney on a road trip.

When I move to a new place, or even a new, old place - I moved back to Sydney after twelve years, also 'back' in the UK, to the same suburb - Surry Hills - and had to get to know it all over again. The difference the second time, is that I 'pushed' myself to talk to everybody I meet - people in the cafes, stores, barbers, restaurants, pubs - and now when I walk into them, or even past them, I see people who know my name. Some of them have become friends too.

Actually, I probably talk too much, and sometimes at the wrong time. I was with a new friend yesterday for lunch and i found out the waitress was Canadian, so of course I had to ask her about Canadian bands, and then I suddenly realized I might have been ignoring my friend, so I apologised. She was OK - that is why I like her! But some people would have got the s***s with me! As we were leaving, I said goodbye to one of the staff and I realized he had a London accent. So, first 'OK-ing' it with my friend, I showed him my Spurs hat. He laughed, 'I'm Arsenal!'

Anyway, you could look on 'Meet Ups' for some social groups, maybe join some clubs, could be anything, swimming, bushwalking, dancing, whatever takes your fancy. Just build up a few 'strands' and eventually you might have a 'basketful' of new friends!

Mount Eliza and Mornington are fine and there are lots of expats around its a favourite with Brits and other northern Europeans, always has been. The Scots were some of the first settlers on the Peninsula.

Join up with the Life in Victoria forum there is a link at the foot of this one and you will find there are lots of people in the area.

Archived