Occupational Therapist work options in Oz

Serendipity

Hi, I've read back through previous threads about OT's looking for work in Oz after moving there. I am in process of applying for visa for permanent residency so me and my family can come over from UK to live and work (currently just submitted skills assessment paperwork). I am an OT. I've been reading about the difficulties of foreign OT's getting Ahpra registration as employers aren't prepared to take on non Ahpra registered OT's, and you need to have practiced to get the registration. Do you think this makes it impossible to get a job as an OT or are there ways around it?

Also what are the most needed clinical areas for OT's to work in. I've heard that Voc rehab is much bigger in Oz than UK. I have worked as an OT privately in Uk for a few years doing FCE type assessments and return to work assessments. I'm Matheson trained, is this style of FCE recognised in Oz? I also do locum work for local authorities assessing for equipment and adaptations. I still have time to streamline my work experience and do extra training courses if needed as we are not planning to move over till end of 2015, but not sure which was to go. I also have an MSc in Work Design and Ergonomics.

Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated, especially from OT's who are in this catch 22 situation. Thank you.

• 1 month later...

I had a look on www.seek.com.au to see if any jobs came up. They did, but none if I put in 'Matheson' as key word.

Maybe if you contacted a few of these employers (i just posted a couple of the ads and there are more) you might get more info? (I don't know which state you are hoping to go to either.)

Physiotherapist - Christmas Locum workVivir Healthcare Pty Ltd

• Across all Melbourne metro and regional
  • Excellent rates + bonuses
  • Worklife balance

Looking for short or long term locum Physio work? We offer our locums excellent hourly rates, accommodation and bonuses

Healthcare & Medical > Physiotherapy, OT & Rehabilitation

Add to shortlist NEWGeelong & Great Ocean Road

[h=2]Physiotherapist - Christmas Locum workVivir Healthcare Pty Ltd[/h]

• Worklife balance

Looking for short or long term locum Physio work? We offer our locums excellent hourly rates, accommodation and bonuses

Add to shortlist NEWMornington Peninsula & Bass Coast

[h=2]Occupational Therapist or Exercise Physiologist Rehabilitation ConsultantAltius Group Pty Ltd[/h]Rehabilitation Consultant role available in our growing Canberra office for an OT or EP. Be valued as a professional with an industry leader.

Add to shortlist NEWACT[h=2]Physiotherapy Opportunities - Private Practice & HospitalCBC Staff Selection[/h]For a confidential conversation about this role or other opportunities, contact Samantha Clotworthy@Aussie Locums samantha@aussielocums.com.au today!

Add to shortlist NEWFull time or Part time availableCairns & Far North[h=2]Physiotherapist - Christmas Locum workVivir Healthcare Pty Ltd[/h]

• Worklife balance

Add to shortlist NEWMelbourne

[h=2]Graduate PhysiotherapistsChandler Macleod Group[/h]Positions available in for Graduate Physiotherapists in Aged and Community Care in locations across Queensland

Add to shortlist NEWBrisbaneCBD & Inner Suburbs[h=2]Physiotherapist - Aged & Community CareChandler Macleod Group[/h]Flexible role available for a skilled Physiotherapist who is committed to long term patient care.

Add to shortlist NEWBundaberg & Wide Bay Burnett[h=2]PhysiotherapistChandler Macleod Group[/h]Physio position open with full time hours in Central West Brisbane for a reputable Not for Profit.

Add to shortlist NEWBrisbaneWestern Suburbs & Ipswich[h=2]PhysiotherapistChandler Macleod Group[/h]A great full time Physiotherapist role has become available at a long standing aged care facility in Ipswich