Bricklayer Skills assessment

nikkinoo30

Hi all,

I am new to this site and wondered if anyone had any advice: My Husband is a bricklayer by trade and is applying for a Regional Sponsored 489 Visa for Queensland. We are using an immigration agent.

We are currently trying to draft all of the employer statements and gather evidence to show his employment / self-employment. (and trying to get this completed before Bricklayer gets taken off the list again!!)

The agent has told us that, in addition to detailing fully his qualification (NVQ) and what he did to obtain that, we need to expand on his training/apprenticeship and detail who showed him how to do what on site when he first trained. This is very difficult as he trained 22 years ago (with a Company that no longer exists although we do have the ex-director's contact details and he has agreed to sign a declaration), my Husband says that back in those days you just took your trowel and got on with it. You didn't have someone explaining everything step-by-step. We are in a position where we are just going to have to make it all up!

Any tradies having the same issue?? Did you describe the training in lots of detail?

Thanks!

Even though a statement of career history should be in your husband's own words the agent should be able to provide you an example of the type of information that is required. Essentially what you're trying to do in these statements is explain in technical detail that the work performed, training provided corresponds with the core knowledge areas that would be required for the respective Australian qualification. For example one knowledge area for bricklayers is "carry out cavity brick construction", so you'd look to show an example of when you've performed that particular work, what tools were used, go into technical detail about how you did it etc. The statement should cover everything from the time he began training to the present day.

Just want to point out one important note though, I think you should go back to your agent and clarify eligibility for the 489 visa with QLD because the state government specify that applicants must hold a valid licence with the QLD Building and Construction Commission to be eligible to apply for nomination.

Hi Nik

i was in the same situation as your husband but as a self-employed roof tiler-slater

i learnt my trade onsite and was given a NVQ while sub-contracting. i used a agent to get my visa and they advised me to get a australian qualification as the TRA don't like it if you have not been trained at college so i got the australian RPL 3 and got through the TRA and was granted my visa

I would ask your agent how confident they are with getting you through the TRA with no college work

good luck

Thanks Bugbrock! My a Husband did his NVQ at college on day release. Is the TRA the assessing board you had to go through? We have to go through VETASSES. I will double check this all with the agent. Good to hear you were granted your visa! How long would you say it took you to get through the whole process? It feels like a nightmare already and we've only just started!! Lol

Nikki

Hi Nic yes I was assessed by the TRA not sure how VETASSES works but should be ok as your husband was at college.

took me 2 yrs to get my visa majority of the time was getting AQF III qualification & 3 attempts at IELTS to get the extra 20 points

and getting my son a visa as he is lives with my ex just some legal stuff but was ok

my visa is 190 Permanent Resident

Hi Bugbrock, thanks for your responses & advice. Yeah we were going to try for a permanent visa but my husband has already had 3 attempts at the IELTS for extra points and hasn't quite got there yet so I think we will go for the 489 with state sponsorship and try to get permanent after that. Enjoy oz!! Nikki

• 4 weeks later...
Hi all,

I am new to this site and wondered if anyone had any advice: My Husband is a bricklayer by trade and is applying for a Regional Sponsored 489 Visa for Queensland. We are using an immigration agent.

We are currently trying to draft all of the employer statements and gather evidence to show his employment / self-employment. (and trying to get this completed before Bricklayer gets taken off the list again!!)

The agent has told us that, in addition to detailing fully his qualification (NVQ) and what he did to obtain that, we need to expand on his training/apprenticeship and detail who showed him how to do what on site when he first trained. This is very difficult as he trained 22 years ago (with a Company that no longer exists although we do have the ex-director's contact details and he has agreed to sign a declaration), my Husband says that back in those days you just took your trowel and got on with it. You didn't have someone explaining everything step-by-step. We are in a position where we are just going to have to make it all up!

Any tradies having the same issue?? Did you describe the training in lots of detail?

Thanks!

hi hi my hubby also a Bricky, he did do bricklaying at college but never finished , I think he only did a year out of 3 !! Then he learned on site, same as ur OH that's just how a lot of them do it! So we did all our References as such our selfs and then got companies and/or Forman's to print on headed paper and sign! The reference about my hubby learning on site was about 6 pages!!! Very detailed , but that's what they want! If the company is no longer , I suggest you write it all out and make it a self declaration!! I can have a look to see if I got some templates if you like? Pm me and let me know, good luck

Thanks for your response Whites!

We are now a little further ahead. After a lot of late nights drafting we now have a statutory declaration (many pages long) signed by my Hubby & a solicitor, We have a statement signed by the Ex-Director of the company my Husband used to work for and trained with (which no longer exists) and this is also witnessed by a solicitor, we then have statements drafted by us but which are in the process of being printed on headed paper from various other employers and signed. We are gathering all the back up evidence (Bank statements & Tax returns etc. It's a full time job in itself isn't it?! We have an agent to advise us which has helped.

Are you planning to go to Brisbane? ("Brisbane is the dream!"). We are planning to go to Queensland but on a regional sponsored 489 Visa we have to live and work in regional Queensland (i.e.not greater Brisbane or the Gold Coast). We have family friends in Toowoomba so may end up going there. I imagine the move will not be until January 2016.

Nikki.

Archived