Should all kids, offshore and mainland, be released from Australia's detention centres?

Harpodom

Should all kids (offshore and mainland) be released from Australian detention centres?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Should all kids (offshore and mainland) be released from Australian detention centres?

• Yes, they should all be released immediately
    • No, keep em locked up til they or their parents (if they have any) go mad or decide to return home
    • No, but they should be released after, say, 5 years
    • I don't care

Nope , still about three and a half years in total. Plus the possibility the wait might be longer or at all as the skills list changed after I'd paid all my money .luckily I passed the English test for additional points . Then the extra payments and even at one time being told my baby might not be allowed in on a holiday visa , as he'd no intent on returning to the uk , at 3 months old . Evil regime that labour one was I tell ya .

I glad you mastered the English test. Imagine how it must be for those without English as a first language? Evil regimes sadly dominate in Australia over recent decades. No argument there. They say we get the politicians we deserve. Even Australia for all their apathy surely deserve something a little more principled?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I spoke to my Mum in the UK on the phone the other day, she said Australia are apparently taking hundreds of refugees from Syria. I've not heard much about this here, has anyone? Obviously if they come by plane they will be fine, and couldn't possibly be anything but genuine - it's apparently only people that come by boat that are considered guilty by default of all sorts of heinous crimes and motives.

id say that the uk container death is very relevant to the boat deaths considering both were looking for better lives , taken advantage of by unscrupulous smugglers interested only in money . I also find positive stories much better than detriment . Again I don't see the hate camp

as you describe them. Opinions based on their thoughts and facts the way they see them. Carrot and stick , the carrot to me was that story .

We can gladly differ on the hate camp on here. I can live with that. All I can say is that most actions in life require help to attain. Too few these days are motivated outside of money to do anything to assist another human being. Very obvious across the board from the armies of salvation paid by government down to your local people smuggler. Of course it is emotive language being used as a deliberate attempt to denigrate asylum seekers, who in all fairness can hardly arrange their operation without middlemen etc. Don't see much difference from the Jewish folk being bribed to escape persecution during WW2.

When I spoke to my Mum in the UK on the phone the other day, she said Australia are apparently taking hundreds of refugees from Syria. I've not heard much about this here, has anyone? Obviously if they come by plane they will be fine, and couldn't possibly be anything but genuine - it's apparently only people that come by boat that are considered guilty by default of all sorts of heinous crimes and motives.

Its part of Australia's annual 'genuine' refugee intake of 13,500 (previously 20,000 under ALP).

Interestingly there was an article in the Graun the other day alleging that some Syrian asylum seekers in offshore camps are being encouraged to return home, whilst Australia takes thousands of Syrian refugees from Syria.

Australia has accepted 4,400 Syrian and Iraqi refugees. Most if not all will be Christian and was decided prior to Morrison appearing before the UN tribunal. Syrians in detention are still officially at risk of being sent back.

All a question of politics.

I'm an uneconomic migrant . I didn't come for more money .

Well. no, maybe not in the strict financial sense, but you did come here for a better life, not just "for a change".

For what it's worth, those who attempt to arrive here via a circuitous route, not really fleeing persecution but with every intention of working their way to a secure position of wealth, are those that benefit the country in general. Australia is full of examples like this. They work hard, follow the rules and do well. (All this guff about letting in terrorists is a complete sideline. Terrorists don't want to work in a cafe.)

BUT, the issue is, should we be encouraging such folk by rewarding them for claiming asylum here, rather than a safe country in between? Should we reward them for bringing their children? In essense, is there a kind of points system for refugees? Do you get more points for having "been resourceful enough to pay your way" here, or bringing dependents?

Perhaps we need to open up a new official visa stream. Skilled migration without the skills but a damn good helping of motivation. That's how it used to be when post WW2 migrants were allocated to building a hydro dam in NSW for 2 years before being let loose.

I'm convinced that releasing children form detention is the wrong move. Take the case of a child 2 weeks before their 10th birthday. Are you going to let them out now only to put them back in a fortnights time?

Its part of Australia's annual 'genuine' refugee intake of 13,500 (previously 20,000 under ALP).

Interestingly there was an article in the Graun the other day alleging that some Syrian asylum seekers in offshore camps are being encouraged to return home, whilst Australia takes thousands of Syrian refugees from Syria.

You just beat me off the mark. Yes Syrians are in line for deportation but I don't really expect it will go through as stands.

Well. no, maybe not in the strict financial sense, but you did come here for a better life, not just "for a change".

For what it's worth, those who attempt to arrive here via a circuitous route, not really fleeing persecution but with every intention of working their way to a secure position of wealth, are those that benefit the country in general. Australia is full of examples like this. They work hard, follow the rules and do well. (All this guff about letting in terrorists is a complete sideline. Terrorists don't want to work in a cafe.)

BUT, the issue is, should we be encouraging such folk by rewarding them for claiming asylum here, rather than a safe country in between? Should we reward them for bringing their children? In essense, is there a kind of points system for refugees? Do you get more points for having "been resourceful enough to pay your way" here, or bringing dependents?

Perhaps we need to open up a new official visa stream. Skilled migration without the skills but a damn good helping of motivation. That's how it used to be when post WW2 migrants were allocated to building a hydro dam in NSW for 2 years before being let loose.

I'm convinced that releasing children form detention is the wrong move. Take the case of a child 2 weeks before their 10th birthday. Are you going to let them out now only to put them back in a fortnights time?

Instead of harping back to detention, how about some imaginative views in managing the issue?

I glad you mastered the English test. Imagine how it must be for those without English as a first language? Evil regimes sadly dominate in Australia over recent decades. No argument there. They say we get the politicians we deserve. Even Australia for all their apathy surely deserve something a little more principled?

Same test , lower pass rate for non English speakers first language .

Instead of harping back to detention, how about some imaginative views in managing the issue?

If you look back about 4 posts you'll see one; swap out the boat people 2 for 1 with refugees from foreign camps. We've been through this before. You're not in favour. But you never gave a reason why you're not happy to reduce the overall global number of refugees.

Like I said, the onus is on you to propose a new system that would find favour with the electorate. You can call them haters if you want, but then nothing will change.

I wouldn't call you a hater. (Although I have previously called you unhinged). But we're all economic migrants. Why do you post to a forum full of them?

Guess Im different from every other person here then..I didnt come here for economic reasons..In fact i dont know why, I just ended up here...I dont work in Australia but i live here and pay their taxes..I didnt work in the Uk when I lived there but i paid their taxes..So I guess Im a bit of a black sheep really, not part of the crowd if you know what I mean..Most so called economic migrants,

as you call them who post on here, entered Australia the LEGAL way, by appying through the correct channels..The freeloaders dont do it that way..they want to get in front of everyone else, then some abuse their hospitality once they are here...

Guess Im different from every other person here then..I didnt come here for economic reasons..In fact i dont know why, I just ended up here...I dont work in Australia but i live here and pay their taxes..I didnt work in the Uk when I lived there but i paid their taxes..So I guess Im a bit of a black sheep really, not part of the crowd if you know what I mean..

Not really, everyone pays taxes here, regardless if they earn income here. GST, for example. Stamp duty, rego. Dare I say it, fuel levy. Even tourists pay that. So you really are part of the crowd. Subscribing to a states tax base in order to take advantage of the facilities and services it offers.

The real black sheep are those who strike out on their own and abandon the comforts of an already built sophisticated nation. But you rarely here about them, because one of the things they have to abandon is the internet.

Archived