Please be gentle!

alawson

Hi Guys.

This is my first post here (sorry if its in the wrong place; Mods please move if required!)

So.....a little about us, my partner is 21, I'm 28, we're both born UK residents. Jess wants to go and study in Melbourne at a private (i.e. not higher education facility) college; Shillington College if anybody knows it. This would be her first visit to Aus.

I want to travel with her. I've already had a WHV in '09/'10 so I'd be looking for a second one if thats the chosen route, but I don't think I did enough 'specified' work last time around to qualify.

I'd thought about the 451 visa as I'm a live Sound Engineer which is on the CSOL, but obviously finding a sponsor/job offer isn't easy.

Her course would be 3 months, with the possibility of a month extension module, then I think she would like to try and get some work out there in the industry (graphic design) thus extending the length of time we would like to be out there, probably to over the 12 months of a WHV. Is it worth us both getting WHV's then trying to move to 457's? I'm just a little confused!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Ash

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Ash, just wanted to say hi and welcome to the forum. We have a few members who I am sure will be able to advise.

Kate

If she is your partner and not just someone you are dating then I believe you could go on her student visa .. you mention a WHV for her as well, would she not be getting a student visa or is the course not qualify?

You cannot get a WHV unless you can prove you did regional work, I would to have thought you would know for sure whether you did it or not so I am going to assume not. Also you might be underestimating the ease of getting sponsorship, your girlfriend is young so not sure she would have the experience required would she? It is a popular career choice and unemployment in Australia is pretty high at 6.5% meaning sponsorships are less available.

Thanks guys.

re: my previous WHV I sat down and worked out what work we did when I traveled last time and no I don't qualify for a second one.

Sorry for my ignorance but what is the easiest way to find out if the course qualifies for a student Visa?

Thanks again!

http://studylink.com/blog/will-you-qualify-for-a-student-visa/

just google lots comes up...apply for course it seems to go towards qualifying for the visa..show you can cover cost international funds..and can afford to live..think you can both work up to 20hours a week once you have started working...any reason why she doesn't want to study in UK? You could have a deposit on a house bu the time you've saved what they need..passing the English tests etc!?

Actually works out cheaper course per course than doing it in London or Manchester plus it's the experience.

I know it differed from travelling in the true sense but it'll be an opportunity to do something different before a career whilst combined with the studying. As for me I've been to Aus twice now and I love it!

Archived