New to Canberra

Shazia

Hi

We moved to Canberra last week from Singapore. We are originally from Pakistan. We have a 4 year and a 2 year old. We are currently looking for long term housing. My husband does not have a job yet. It would be great to meet up with people in a similar situation, i.e. Young kids, new migrants, no job, looking for housing, schools, etc. We are staying in Braddon at the moment but looking to move toto Gungahlin most likely.

Warm regards

shazia

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Shazia,

We will soon be moving from London to Canberra. Just waiting for the visas to be granted.

Can you advise where would be the best place to move. We have a 19 month old son...will be 2+ by the time we move out there.

I am a Carpenter and Joiner by trade and my wife is an Investment Banking consultant. Can't wait for the big move.

How are things going in Canberra?

Hey, things are going ok so far. Managed to find short term housing. Bought a car. My husband has just started looking for work. The market is quite dry so lets see. Still haven't met many people here so looking forward to whenever that happens.

Hi there. Canberra is a great place for kids. My kids are loving it. In terms of where to move, the best option is to find a short term place online and then look at various neighbourhoods and choose the one you like as they all have a distinct feel. We have not taken a long term place yet but are hoping to move North (gungahlin area) as it's in our budget, has lots of parks etc. it's a new area so lots of young families. Of course everything depends on when my husband is able to secure work. Good luck with your move.

Hi Shazia,

We will soon be moving from London to Canberra. Just waiting for the visas to be granted.

Can you advise where would be the best place to move. We have a 19 month old son...will be 2+ by the time we move out there.

I am a Carpenter and Joiner by trade and my wife is an Investment Banking consultant. Can't wait for the big move.

Hi

We moved to Canberra last week from Singapore. We are originally from Pakistan. We have a 4 year and a 2 year old. We are currently looking for long term housing. My husband does not have a job yet. It would be great to meet up with people in a similar situation, i.e. Young kids, new migrants, no job, looking for housing, schools, etc. We are staying in Braddon at the moment but looking to move toto Gungahlin most likely.

Warm regards

shazia

Hi Shazia,

When you moved to Australai with your 2 year old, did you he/she have to undertake the medical checks? My son will be 2 in Jan and i'm not sure if he will require the medicals so we are currently waiting for a CO before we do them.

Thanks

Hi Jerry and Paul,

Have you completed your medicals and PCC's yet? Not sure if we will have to do one for our 2 year old son, so awaiting for CO to be assigned to us

Hi NeelD, yes medicals and PCCs done. We needed something to do whilst waiting. Developing an unhealthy obsession with checking emails every 30 seconds!

Hi JerryandPaul,

I know what you mean as I am glued to this forum :wacko:

As you have now done your medicals before the CO has been assigned to you...how did you get the HAP ID?

Thanks

Hi NeelD, when you log into your application there is a link to arrange health checks. Now ours have come back the link is gone and it now reads 'Meeting the health requirementHealth has been finalised for this person for this visa subclass based on the information provided to the department. If this person needs to do anything further to meet the health requirement, they will be contacted by the department. There is no need to contact the department at this time concerning this matter.'