Should the worst happen - what happens ?

Dawn2002

Hi

I really didn't know what title to put in this thread as it's a depressing question. But one I think is very important.

My hubby and I have been discussing wills and what would happen to the children should one or both of us ( god forbid) pass away.

I am on PR ( subclass 100). My hubby is Australian born and also got British citizenship before we left for Oz.

The children who are both under 5 also have dual citizenship.

My question is, if my hubby dies can I still stay in Australia ? I assume I can as I am on PR, but would this change if he was no longer here?

I couldn't find anything about this on IMMI website, except something about if your partner does during the visa processing. I cannot apply for citizenship for a few years yet.

If someone can set our minds at rest, that would be great.

Thanks.

Hi

I really didn't know what title to put in this thread as it's a depressing question. But one I think is very important.

My hubby and I have been discussing wills and what would happen to the children should one or both of us ( god forbid) pass away.

I am on PR ( subclass 100). My hubby is Australian born and also got British citizenship before we left for Oz.

The children who are both under 5 also have dual citizenship.

My question is, if my hubby dies can I still stay in Australia ? I assume I can as I am on PR, but would this change if he was no longer here?

I couldn't find anything about this on IMMI website, except something about if your partner does during the visa processing. I cannot apply for citizenship for a few years yet.

If someone can set our minds at rest, that would be great.

Thanks.

If the worst thing happens then as a PR you can stay as it is you that holds the visa as an individual. it is the same as divorce once you have a PR you will be able to stay as long as you want to. I hope this helps put your minds at rest

I only spoke to a friend last week about what would happen with the kids if both hubby and I passed in the near future,, its a tough question and i'm torn, would i want them back in the UK with family? or here with maybe a nominated friend of ours as their guardian ,which is the only life they really know due to their young ages when we moved?

God forbid it ever happens, but i believe it is something you need to think about.

Cal x

That is something I had never thought about, what would happen if both of us were to die. Obviously at this point we know no one in Australia and the children's biological father is in the UK. Therefore, the children would have to return to the UK. We would have worked so hard to give my children a better future and all that would be taken away and they would have to be uprooted back to the UK...

I better be extra careful...

Thanks for these replies, we did assume this, but for some reason had nagging doubts.

I guess we are lucky having family here to take the children on if anything does happen.

It's not a nice thing to think about, but I think if we can put our wishes in writing now, it will cause far less pain if anything happened.

Archived