Adult Apprenticeship

Leesweeting

Hi All!

I've just been granted a partner visa, sub-class 100, so i have permeant residency in Australia. My family and i are moving to Townsville and i've been thinking about doing an adult apprenticeship in air conditioning and refrigeration. I come from a construction management background but don't really enjoy the office side of the industry anymore, and i would like to spend more time with my family, hence the change. Has anyone one had any experience with the adult apprenticeship schemes in Australia? I was just wondering how easy it is to secure an apprenticeship for the older generations (i'm 34), haha!

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee.

Hi Lee

Try getting on with some of the apprentice agencies Skill360 covers up here and what I like about them is that they actually employ you so you know everything is above board. http://www.skill360.com.au/Home

Hi Pom Queen! Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. I am aware of skill360 and an other company in Townsville called Torgas. I was wondering if anyone had first hand experiences with these companies, and how adult apprentices are received by the business they deal with.

Thanks,

Lee.

i'm thinking about doing the same thing, the trick is to get with a company who are unionised.

non unionised companies pay... well pay what you'd expect to earn as an apprentice.

unionised companies will pay you a relatively comfortable wage. enough to live on if you have a small family to support, and sensible outgoings.

it was a surprise to me to find that out, i thought it would be impossible at first from a financial standpoint.

get a look on the union website for the trade and state you want to work in, have a chat and go from there.

your age is a asset, your old enough to get up for work, know what taking the piss is, and not have odd sicknesses that only seem to occur on mondays and fridays.

sell yourself :) oz is great.

(now i need to read and do all that too!)

i'm thinking about doing the same thing, the trick is to get with a company who are unionised.

non unionised companies pay... well pay what you'd expect to earn as an apprentice.

unionised companies will pay you a relatively comfortable wage. enough to live on if you have a small family to support, and sensible outgoings.

it was a surprise to me to find that out, i thought it would be impossible at first from a financial standpoint.

get a look on the union website for the trade and state you want to work in, have a chat and go from there.

your age is a asset, your old enough to get up for work, know what taking the piss is, and not have odd sicknesses that only seem to occur on mondays and fridays.

sell yourself :) oz is great.

(now i need to read and do all that too!)

Thanks! Thats just what i wanted to hear :-). Hopefully it won't take me too long to get an apprenticeship, i'm really looking forward to leaving the stress of the office and having more time to spend with my family. I did used to be a tradesman, it been a while but i'm looking forward to doing something hands on and practical again :-). Can't wait!!

Thanks flybyknight.

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi Pom Queen! Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. I am aware of skill360 and an other company in Townsville called Torgas. I was wondering if anyone had first hand experiences with these companies, and how adult apprentices are received by the business they deal with.

Thanks,

Lee.

My son was going to go with Skill360 so I've had interviews etc with them and found them great and very professional. Unfortunately my son went direct with the employer who later went bust if he had gone with Skill360 they would have got him transferred.

My son was going to go with Skill360 so I've had interviews etc with them and found them great and very professional. Unfortunately my son went direct with the employer who later went bust if he had gone with Skill360 they would have got him transferred.

Yeah i think there's a benefit from going with companies like skill360, just for the reason you have stated. I think thats the way i will try to find work when the time comes. As i said above theres a company called Torgas and another called Migas. Hopefully one of the three will be able to help me. :-)

Archived