Fumigation/cleaning

Guest Ian&Lou

Guest Ian&Lou

Does anyone have an idea of how much customs charge to fumigate or clean items in your container? Also do they charge per item or a lump sum for the container?

We are loathe to get rid of our lawnmower and teak garden furniture, removals firms have given conflicting info but advised that it will probably be picked up by customs. They havent been able to give us any ideas on cost either...so we dont know if it will be cheaper to pay for the work done by customs or to buy new again in Oz.

Any help really appreciated as I cant find any guides on the net about this.

Lou

Guest BRISSYBOUND

We were told by relocation fella not to bother with lawnmower unless it was brand new and in box,don't know about teak furniture though.Where you heading,we're off to Brisbane ,so probably won't need a lawnmower.

I have been quoted for a 20ft Container "approx $400 to clear the consignment"????? This may or may not help sorry.......................However goes without saying...........clean clean clean outdoor stuff if you need to take it as this adds to the Manpower Hours so to speak! We aren't takng ANY outdoor stuff so I'm basing my expenses on the above info! Good Luck!

Guest TheBrowningFamily
We were told by relocation fella not to bother with lawnmower unless it was brand new and in box,don't know about teak furniture though.Where you heading,we're off to Brisbane ,so probably won't need a lawnmower.

Your joking right?? or are you having a cemented garden! Grass needs cutting here every 5-7 days!!

Guest HPRYCE

Our experience was this. AQUIS decided to pull three items from our 40ft container, lawnmower, hardwood rocking horse(apparently because the saddle is stuffed with wool!!!) and box containing bedding for our dog. We were told these 3 items would need irradiating at a cost of $600 or they would be destroyed. Not much option really as lawnmower alone was worth more than that but talk about putting a gun to your head. I question to this day that it was necessary, I had spent hours pressure washing the lawnmower and am convinced it couldn't have been any cleaner. At the end of the day I think it boils down to luck of the draw, on another day with different aquis personnel I'm sure there wouldn't have been an issue. Hope you get lucky!

Guest BRISSYBOUND
Your joking right?? or are you having a cemented garden! Grass needs cutting here every 5-7 days!!

Don't know about now,but we were out there this time last year and all the grass was dead.I'm going to go for the tropical paradise look or buy a goat.Fred

I have been quoted for a 20ft Container "approx $400 to clear the consignment"????? This may or may not help sorry.......................However goes without saying...........clean clean clean outdoor stuff if you need to take it as this adds to the Manpower Hours so to speak! We aren't takng ANY outdoor stuff so I'm basing my expenses on the above info! Good Luck!

Clearing the consignment is the charge for letting it through customs. You will get an additional bill if anything needs cleaning.

We didn't bring a lawnmower but did bring garden tools, OH DIY tools and our bikes, they all got through without needing anything doing and the only charge we paid was what had been quoted.

Felicity:cute:

Guest Mully Mulgar

"We were told these 3 items would need irradiating at a cost of $600"

Quite worried now!!! - I've scrubbed all footwear and garden stuff (tools only) with jeyes fluid - even used a toothbrush for soles of footwear(!) - is that $200 an item or just a nice little round figure to hit you with...?! Shipping company come Wednesday and I'm now seriously considering trying to flog some stuff to neighbours or donate to charity...oh well, at least its warm there.

Archived