Questions about shipping companies that pack for you??

Emmie2010

When our guys packed, they left things like our clothes in drawers in export wrapping which surprised us. It meant we knew where they were this end but of course washed everything again. We had put some things in vacuum bags ourselves like underwear, woollens and other clothes.

Most things were left in drawers where they were. Anything you pack may not be covered by insurance except for loss. I had some things in small boxes from a model railway and the CD's. The packers checked them and repacked in their larger boxes, but generally leaving items in my boxes.

They packed things that were in cupboards being left behind - such as in the kitchen and fixed wardrobes/bookcases.

They wrapped bedding in furniture to square it off such as sofas (which saves you volume) which was fun when it came to unpack this end as we ended up with loose bedding all over the place. Hanging clothes were laid down in boxes.

We used Robinsons and although nothing was broken we had a real game with missing items and I would not recommend them. Follow up was appalling. Remember it will be 2 to 3 months before you unpack this end so its too late to chase missing items then or for the packers to remember IF they packed the items. Our guys took the boxes to the depot so we didn't see the container loaded in the UK. This end the guys reckon they unpacked all they had been sent but again the container was customs cleared and repacked in Fremantle as well as we had put our car in the original container.

So anything valuable make sure you see it packed and anything special have it noted on the inventory so you know where it is. Seeing a list with 160 boxes on and 20 marked "kitchen" doesn't help. We had key items stuffed in a box marked "garage". Have bed and table bolts taped to the item or in a small box marked as such. (We were without our main bed for 2 weeks whilst I found temporary bolts and had to get replacements from the UK).

But its great to get here and worth it (Perth that is!!)

We used doree bonner, and can not fault them, packers were superb and all the guys in the office. Now it's out of there hands and with a subcontractor til it arrives in Australia. Just have to wait til end of sept for boat to arrive.

I've got Crown and Robinson's lined up for quotes. They both came across as very professional on the phone. The young lad at Crown was very pleasant and polite.

Getting things moving, very scary, indeed.....

Good Luck tina0101, can't wait to hear how you guys are getting on! have you heard from Cool Breeze? he must be there by now.

We had quotes from Crown and they were our first choice but didn't go with them because their Birmingham office was in turmoil with staff changes and we had a lot of communication problems. We chose Robinsons and have had a bad experience which is still dragging on 15 months later....see my post for facts, not emotion. They lost a 200 year old clock pendulum which has taken months to replace and I am trying to get compensation at least for the cost of the special crate which was supposed to include the pendulum. And insure your stuff through IYM. We didn't expect to need to claim but IYM were great - they advised insuring our things at Aussie prices, particularly the grandfather clock, which we thought in a special crate was the least of our worries. We were faced with a $1900 bill for the clock which the insurer paid.

Great to hear all of your experiences. We are with crown the lady that i have been dealing with so far has been so helpful. Alot of the stuff we are taking is more sentimental than valuable so would be devastated if they lost anything. It all being loosely packed into a container is what worries me...

Great to hear all of your experiences. We are with crown the lady that i have been dealing with so far has been so helpful. Alot of the stuff we are taking is more sentimental than valuable so would be devastated if they lost anything. It all being loosely packed into a container is what worries me...

Your things will be packed in strong boxes and wrapped. We had sentimental things as well. I would put all these things together so that they are packed in a few boxes and marked so that when you get to OZ and have to tick off your list you will see that the important ones are there. You only have a few days to check and report losses/breakages - we had to draft in family help to do this in time as we had not expected to have to unpack or check 163 boxes in 4 days. But that is how we knew that Robinsons had lost so many key things.

@tina0101 how did you get on yesterday?

Really well. We'd put everything in boxes for them to take out and re-pack in their boxes, which they really liked. I think we had just under 500 cubic feet (will have to check!) as we are sharing a container.

They arrived at 9.30am and were gone by 1.30pm. Made them a couple of drinks, they stopped for a little break mid-pack and we sat in the garden the whole time!!

Nice guys, just got on with the job and left!!

Will update in 12 weeks when it gets to the other end!!

Really well. We'd put everything in boxes for them to take out and re-pack in their boxes, which they really liked. I think we had just under 500 cubic feet (will have to check!) as we are sharing a container.

They arrived at 9.30am and were gone by 1.30pm. Made them a couple of drinks, they stopped for a little break mid-pack and we sat in the garden the whole time!!

Nice guys, just got on with the job and left!!

Will update in 12 weeks when it gets to the other end!!

Excellent. So exciting. Does it seem more real now?

I've just had Robinsons out. The lady was really lovely and put me at ease. Waiting for quote;-)..Crown out on Wednesday. Getting my head around what to take and what not to take as we have enough to fill a 20ft container!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest62720

I am a Director of Insure Your Move.com

We keep a performance record of all moves insured through us against number of claims subsequently reported and we can advise Excess International would be in the top 10 of best performing removers on this basis. Other removers in this category would include PSS International, Crown Relo, Anglo Pacific, Pickfords, UTS Pearson and John Mason Int amongst others.

These are not recommendations but simply a performance analysis.

Hope this assists in your decision making process.

Archived