Working/Travelling Southern Australia

DavidSteer1

Me and my friend are flying from Heathrow on Wednesday 3rd September, flying straight to Melbourne! anyone else flying same times?? I'm a nervouse wreck when it comes to flying so any more company would be lovely!!!

We are also looking for work to start as quickly as possible, I am looknig to extend my visa hopefully but don't want to rinse through my money and want to find a steady income so hopefully I dont have to come home!! Is there any advice that anyone can give me if what prepartion I can do whilst I'm still in the UK???

Any help will be muchly appreciated!!! :ssign18:

Have a look at Seek and Career One employment sites, think about where you want to live, Melbourne is a huge city and you need to find an area you like. Also join up with the Life in Victoria forum there is a link at the foot of this forum. People who are already here can then help you. What are you intending to work at this will make a big difference to whether you get a job soon or have to wait. Some people wait months to get work.

See your GP for some Valium for the flight? Join the YHA before you leave, and maybe book a week or two in one of their hostels for when you arrive?

Actually, there was an article in the (Sydney) Daily Telegraph yesterday about 'slumlords' who operate dodgy hostels, in Sydney, NOT Melbourne, but that is something to think about when you do stay in a hostel. There are plenty of good ones, of course, but one of these in the article had photo of rubbish bags piled up against fire exit doors.

You can get holiday debit cards I think - saw an advert for ANZ bank recently - give you a safer option for holiday money?

If you have any job references, get them in writing to bring with you. Make you sure you take out travel insurance, even if you are flying direct to Melbourne, just in case anything happens on the way.

You are going to have a great time!

Thank you both for the advice!! I am prepared to work really in anything that can get me through!! I have work in business/admin side as well as working in tourism but no qualifications to show!! I have been looking on gumtree and a few other career service websites which advertise jobs, a lot of people have told me to wait til I arrive,, as Melbourne might not be the place I will stay for that long as i'm looking to travel along the south coast, up a long to Adelaide and eventually hopefully into Perth in the long run!! But work is priortised for me so I can go on to travel further!!

Thank you for the help!! :wink:

Archived