Oz SIM card.

JEM44

Hi, we are heading out to Oz to activate our visas this week (four sleeps and counting).

i am looking. For some information on how best to get my phone working whilst there. I am going to take an old iPhone 4 and wonder if it is possible to buy a pay as you go sim at the airport so I can use it straight away? Need to speak to the people whose house we are renting etc, plus use google maps so we can actually find the house!!!

My my phone is unlocked (or so my son tells me) and so just wanting some advice on what companies are best to use for coverage in Perth, Sydney and cairns and how much ore paid will cost me etc. plus will I be able to buy one when we land? Hoping there will be shops etc in arrivals in perth international.

Any help and advice will be gratefully received as we know no one in Oz so I'm quite daunted by the whole experience although very excited.

Thanks

Laura xx

Im almost cerain you are going to struggle to find a sim card at the airport without a great deal of effort & after a long haul flight I dont suppose you'd have the energy. If you have an iphone on a UK network then it should work automatically when you switch it on as long as your roaming option is selected so I would just pay the extra to make the call to the people whose house it is using your current network & then go to a phone shop in the city the day after u arrive & sort out your pay as you go - it probably wont be as easy as just switching the simcards over so you might be glad to have the help of a store assistant. In terms of directions to tbe house I wouldnt use your uk network to access google maps because it'll coz you a fortune in data so I would just print directions off at home and use them.

Archived