Looking to book flights....and wanting the 50KGs of luggage.

DonnaC

Hi All, we are looking to book our flights for the end of September.....is it only Singapore Airlines that gives migrants the 50KGs of luggage on booking a one way ticket....and how do you go about getting that?

Thanks

Donna:wink:

I have a feeling that it is only Singapore Airlines that offers this, and I am pretty sure it is 40kg not 50. Might be wrong though!

We didn't get a migrant allowance as we originally came over on a 457, but we found it fairly inexpensive (in the scheme of things) to send some things by air freight. I think we used Seven Seas, but there are probably other companies too. We sent it a couple of days before we left, and it arrived a couple of days after we arrived.

Hi,

We came in February on a PR visa (189) with Singapore Airlines and got 60 kilos each (double baggage). After we'd booked the tickets we emailed the airline and sent them a copy of our visa. Make sure you print out a copy of the email they send confirming your extra baggage allowance as they told us at check in if we hadn't have brought the email with us they would have charged us for the extra! x

Normally if you email the Singapore Airlines contact centre, you get a vague response:

Kindly note, if you hold an unused/unstamped/not validated migrant visa that specifically states that you are permittedto remain in Australia indefinitely, then you will be entitled to double baggage allowance. This visa has to be used for the first time to enter into Australia and the double baggage will be granted after, the visa has been verified by our staff at the check-in counter on the day of your departure.

So ultimately, you are never really know whether they will honour it until you get to check-in. That said, as well as giving me double baggage for my validation visit, SA didn't charge us nearly $1500 in excess baggage for our one way flights.

Archived