Where to get documents certified?

amg

Hi,

We are in the process of applying for a temporary student visa and need to certify some official documents. We did this at the post office before, but just called the visa helpline and they said that will not do. This is what it says:

"If the copy is certified outside Australia:

● a person who is the equivalent of a Justice of the Peace or Commissioner for Declarations in that place (for example a public notary); or

● a registered migration agent (whose registration is not suspended or subject to a caution)."

What is the best way to do this? We find it hard to understand!

Thanks!

Yep, defo go to a solicitor. I made the mistake of using a notary the first time. They charged roughly £10 per copy of A4, and I had approx 18!

I had to get some more done and found a solicitor who would do it for £2.50 per copy (but first one was £5).

Make sure you shop around!! One solicitor I spoke to wanted £25 per copy!

Can we use a sollicitor though, because they are not mentioned in the list but a notary is?

Certain solicitors are also notaries public. For example, here in Scotland a solicitor must petition the Court of Session to apply to register as a Notary Public. It's therefore important to check with them when you inquire.

Saying that, I'd expect it to be explicitly stated on their website if they are.

PS - You can contact your local court but I found waiting times to be in excess of 6 weeks (as it is free).

Sorry to jump in on this thread but just out of interest which of the documents that are submitted for your visa actually need to be certified? It only mentions certified copies of any certificates/diplomas etc etc.

Sorry to jump in on this thread but just out of interest which of the documents that are submitted for your visa actually need to be certified? It only mentions certified copies of any certificates/diplomas etc etc.

I certified my degree, diploma, passport, employment references and educational transcripts.

Archived