Checklist?

Charlie Cobham

Basically, i want to spend a year working and travelling in Australia, i've never done anything like this and need to know what i need to get sorted and booked before i leave so i'm ready to work and travel. I have looked about and obviously need a visa and flights but what else and whats the best place to get everything?

You definitely need to get your visa, if you haven't already. It costs a couple hundred and you can do it straight through Australia's immigration website. Mine was approved within 20 minutes, most people say it gets approved within the hour/the day. Get your flight booked.

How much savings do you have? Per terms of the visa, they recommend you have 5 grand, but everywhere I read says they don't really check you for that. You can open up a bank account before you go and start transferring money. You also need a Tax File Number for working purposes, which you can set up after arrival.

Otherwise, just do your research. Plenty of other people on here who have asked the same questions that you are now, so you won't be lost.

That's plenty of money! I go in October myself, got more than that but it's always best to bring as much as you can. Most people seem to barely meet the 5 grand requirement. I just opened an account with NAB Bank recently, it seems to be what most people on here go with, as it is the only completely free bank account out of the big Australian banks. They even have a sub-forum on here that fills you in on the process.

Archived