Cairns Coldest in 2 decades

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

...and so much for our dry season, it has to be one of the wettest dry seasons we have had for a while.:confused:

Locals in tropical north Queensland rugged up in winter jackets over the long weekend when the temperature only managed to reach 20C in the daytime - the coldest temperature in almost two decades.

It reached 20.3C in Cairns on Sunday which was the lowest maximum temperature since August 1995 and the coldest June day since 1967.

"It was a bit chilly on Sunday. It is unusual," Bureau of Meteorology forecaster Bill O'Connor, who has lived in Cairns for 15 years, told AAP.

"Southerners would have a bit of chuckle I think. I was in Melbourne two weeks ago and it was freezing."

He says the cooler temperature was due to cool air blowing in from the south combining with heavy cloud cover and rain.

The temperature dipped to between 16C and 19C overnight on Sunday and Monday.

The average day time temperature in Cairns in June and July is about 26C.

The cooler weather didn't last long as the clouds departed and the temperature reached 26C on Tuesday.

Read more at http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2014/06/10/17/06/chilly-20c-cairns-day-breaks-record#lLzs2DdugVkIrXBA.99

Guest The Pom Queen
Was a bit nippy last weekend Kate, was gonna go down and cheer on a mate in the Ironman but looked outside at the rain etc. and thought "stuff him".......so I stayed home and kept warm.

I've currently three doonas on my bed :no:

Guest The Pom Queen
Reminds me of "Churchill's Head" accomodation...:wink:

Cheers, Bobj

Brrrr just a little chilly, but the views and the company more than made up for it :yes:

Guest Guest66881

We had 3c overnight and bloody cold it was too, full moon was nice though, might reach 18c today:wideeyed:

Guest The Pom Queen
That does not sound good for my holiday heading that way...... I could stay here and be cold. :smile::ssign10:

Its currently 24.5c but dropped to 21c last night. I just hope the rains stop soon. I like warm rain but can't be doing with this cold wet stuff.

Guest The Pom Queen
We had 3c overnight and bloody cold it was too, full moon was nice though, might reach 18c today:wideeyed:

There is no way I could stand temps that low anymore. I'm a real wuss.

Guest Guest66881

I had the window open about 150mm no duvet just a cotton sheet on top of me, i sleep totally nude and Deb was on nights, yes i was cold but healthy:wink:

Archived