Childcare rebates

Guest nastasia

Guest nastasia

Hello all, just wanted to clarify on childcare fees and rebates. I have a son aged 2 yrs old. What is the average monthly child care fee? What rebate do we get from government? Is the rebate independent of whether one or both parents work? Does it depend on level of income?

Rebate is 50% of out of pocket expenses upto a certain value per year. Benefit is a percentage based on your wage from $0 to $150k. The higher your wage, the lower the benefit.

You have to meet minimum working hours. You have an upper threshold of $150k for earnings too. Above that, you don't get it.

We are charged $105 per day. We get a benefit of 15% then the 50% rebate on top of that.

Paying and calculating gets complicated. But for us:

$105 minus 15% (CCR) minus 35% (CCB) = $51.83 per day.

They only give us 35% in case we have underestimated our yearly income, the other 15% (or there abouts, depending on our final yearly income) is given to us after we have completed our tax return.

A nice, basic system.

As pp mentioned, the benefit is means tested but the rebate is not. You need to apply for the benefit and be assessed, if you aren't entitled to the benefit you may still get the rebate provided both you and your partner meet the working requirements.

The rebate if entitled will cover 50% of childcare costs per child up to a maximum of $7,500 each per year.

We pay $115 per day for our 18 month old.

Guest nastasia

Thank you both for the detailed explanation. Before sending my son to childcare, where should I start? Will the childcare centre provide the information or do I need to register somewhere for these benefits amd rebate?

Thank you both for the detailed explanation. Before sending my son to childcare, where should I start? Will the childcare centre provide the information or do I need to register somewhere for these benefits amd rebate?

You will need to go to the lovely, speedy, helpful government building called centrelink.

Take food, take drink, take every official document you have ever owned for every member of your extended family (twice removed), take a long book, take comfortable shoes, leave all day free, DONT take any kids!!!, take valium

If you do all of the above you may make it out if there after 4 hours or so, job done.

When visiting Centrelink make sure you stand in the right place, floor is the place to look for instructions. Get their very early. If you want more comfort stay at home and phone and tell everyone beforehand because your phone will be tied up for quite a while, long enough to eat a meal, read most of a book. I play games on the computer.

I just did it all online. Created a centre link account, completed the online form, submitted it. You take a note of the application reference number and the system tells you what documents to take to Centrelink. All we needed was passports for us and the kids birth certificates. I then just went to our local Medicare/family assistance office, waited for about 5mins to be seen. They took the application reference number, copied the docs and then sent them to Centrelink for me. It was easy.

I had previously done the Medicare piece so perhaps that's why it was more straight forward.

one thing to note is that your child will need to have and maintain an up to date immunisation status in order to receive any eligible payments.

You will get a letter confirming within 2 weeks and it will state your CRN numbers which the childcare centre will need, then once Centrelink receives confirmation of your child's attendance (automatically done by the childcare centre) you will get any payments you are eligible for via the method you chose to receive them in the application.

I just did it all online. Created a centre link account, completed the online form, submitted it. You take a note of the application reference number and the system tells you what documents to take to Centrelink. All we needed was passports for us and the kids birth certificates. I then just went to our local Medicare/family assistance office, waited for about 5mins to be seen. They took the application reference number, copied the docs and then sent them to Centrelink for me. It was easy.

I had previously done the Medicare piece so perhaps that's why it was more straight forward.

one thing to note is that your child will need to have and maintain an up to date immunisation status in order to receive any eligible payments.

You will get a letter confirming within 2 weeks and it will state your CRN numbers which the childcare centre will need, then once Centrelink receives confirmation of your child's attendance (automatically done by the childcare centre) you will get any payments you are eligible for via the method you chose to receive them in the application.

Glad you were able to sort this way, know i can be done, but if you do it and they do not call you in for that interview you are very very lucky. Also 2 weeks can mean months at Centrelink. The two weeks works for us to give them the papers within 2 weeks, what they do then is up to them.

I did not tell you because you would not have them, I have a pile of envelopes they gave me and if I have to deal with them I do it by snail mail and this does work, although sometimes have to get the dreaded phone and remind them and speak to a person.

Glad you were able to sort this way, know i can be done, but if you do it and they do not call you in for that interview you are very very lucky. Also 2 weeks can mean months at Centrelink. The two weeks works for us to give them the papers within 2 weeks, what they do then is up to them.

I did not tell you because you would not have them, I have a pile of envelopes they gave me and if I have to deal with them I do it by snail mail and this does work, although sometimes have to get the dreaded phone and remind them and speak to a person.

Really? I submitted the application online one weekend, attended the family assistance office the following week to produce the documents and had the letter in my hand the following week saying my claim had been approved. Perhaps I was just lucky it went so smoothly and haven't experienced the painful process, etc that so many of you have. :smile:

Really? I submitted the application online one weekend, attended the family assistance office the following week to produce the documents and had the letter in my hand the following week saying my claim had been approved. Perhaps I was just lucky it went so smoothly and haven't experienced the painful process, etc that so many of you have. :smile:

Its just beginners luck!

Archived