Schools

Nell

Hi

Are you asking about state or independent schools? My kids go to St Paul's at Bald Hills, they are 9 and 12 and we have found it to be very good. The school takes kids from prep to year 12 so they would be going to the same school which is handy for drop off/pick ups.

Hay thanks for your reply we are half way through our visas I haven't got a clue where to start lol I'll have a look at the school what's the difference between the schools is one privet and one state I realy love the look of north lakes area looks very new. Natalie

North Lakes is a new development, which some love and some hate, we looked at a few houses on their and thought they were overpriced compared to other areas, however there are a lot of English people living there so it can help with settling in and making new friends. We ended up buying in Bridgeman Downs, which is that bit nearer to the CBD than North Lakes.

There is a least one state school on North Lakes, the one I know off has very big year groups, there is also a private/independent school on North Lakes, however I do not know how good it is.

St Paul' is a private school and is about 10 /15 minutes from North Lakes.

I see your kids are similar ages to mine, my girl is 9 and my boy is 12, if you want to meet up when you get here just send me a private message.

Hi thank you that would be lovely hopefully our dreams will come true and will be there this year I'm a bit worried about privet school fees my husband is a plumber we have been told hill be on roughly 60 ad but u never no anything can happen he might not be able to get a job strait away it's such a big move so that's y I'd rather a state school I think but I want it to be the right choice for the kids. Natalie

Hi thank you that would be lovely hopefully our dreams will come true and will be there this year I'm a bit worried about privet school fees my husband is a plumber we have been told hill be on roughly 60 ad but u never no anything can happen he might not be able to get a job strait away it's such a big move so that's y I'd rather a state school I think but I want it to be the right choice for the kids. Natalie

Nell

St Paul's is probably the most expensive private school in the northern suburbs of Brisbane ($12 - 15,000 a year depending on age of child). Catholic and other faith (eg Lutheran) private schools are often a lot cheaper ($4,000 a year). However, the state schools where we live (Eatons Hill, Albany Creek are fine as far as I can tell and I've not heard any horror stories about North Lakes College), Our kids use our local state schools and are doing really well. Personally, I prefer my kids to mix with people from all backgrounds rather than only mix with rich kids. I work on the basis that state school didn't do me any harm or blight my job prospects. :wink:

I think your perception of kids in private education is slightly mis-placed. There are plenty of kids at St Paul's who come from very ordinary backgrounds, ie, parents are tradies, work at the local chemist etc, they certainly cannot be labelled rich. I guess people priorities are just different.

hi to all

I hope you don't mind me adding in a post here. I think it will help the original poster too, if someone can allay my fears.

We are set to fly on Oct 12 this year and plan to go to the Gold Coast. My little one is 5 in Jan so will start school there. I contacted a few schools in the area we plan to go and no one will enrol on line. There were answers to my emails though, and I rang a few up. I was told they could enrol my son when we arrive there end of this year.

Is this true? It is too good to be true, surely. The people/administrators were friendly enough and i want to believe it is that easy.

I would value any replies.

Hi yes it is easy to enrol in schools. When we arrived it was the beginning of January and enrolled our girls the week before school started. The school was open with office staff, I walked in filled in a few forms had a meeting with the principal and that was that! We were in the catchment area and for some schools it may be slightly harder. To the OP re North Lakes State school - I have just finished working there for 8 months in a non teaching role and although it has lots of students it doesn't feel overly big and the staff I thought were lovely and caring. It may have a large enrolment but the class sizes don't appear to be large. It is on 2 campuses so the years 10,11 and 12 are based at a different campus. Elena

Archived