Urgent! Cpv 173 holders please come in

yuhadedee

Sorry to open up a new thread on CPV.

My parents has got approval for 173 last year.

On the visa grant letter, it says, granted on 27 Nov 2013, valid for two years, initial entry must be made by 18 Oct 2014, must not arrive after 27 Nov 2015.

So my question is, is the 2 year counting from the grant date of 27 Nov 2013 or initial entry date?

Anyone who is already on 173 please shed some lights. The immi.gov.au page on 173 seems to be contradicting.

Thank you so much!

Validity of a 173 visa is for 2 years from grant date => 173 visaholders must apply for the 143 permanent residency visa before the 173 expires.

Best regards.

I just got an answer back from the case officer. Here's what he says:

Temporary visas

Clauses 173.511 and 884.511 provide that, if the applicant is not a CPNC, a temporary visa will be granted permitting the holder to travel to, enter and remain in Australia for 2 years from a date specified by the Minister for that purpose.

For a subclass 173 visa holder, the temporary visa is in effect for a period of 2 years from the date of initial entry into Australia. This means that the visa will allow the subclass 173 holder to remain lawfully in Australia for 2 years from the date of initial entry to Australia. However, the travel facility may only allow the holder to leave and “re-enter” Australia for 2 years from the date of visa grant.

For a subclass 884 visa holder, the temporary visa is in effect for a period of 2 years form the date of visa grant.

looks like it's from the date of entry.

So the grant letter is incorrect?

Best regards.

I think that's where they confuse people. Basically you can't travel in & out of the country 2 years after the visa grant date. But you can still remain in the country till the end of the 2 year period from the initial entry to apply for 143.

Their website is very contradictory.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Services/Pages/vevo/vevo-overview.aspx

I recommend checking the visa position on VEVO.

And maybe asking the case officer for a revised grant letter - or a visa label that confirms the date to which the visaholder is permitted to remain in Australia. In the confusing circumstances maybe the case officer can arrange a visa label on a no fee basis?

Best regards.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Services/Pages/vevo/vevo-overview.aspx

I recommend checking the visa position on VEVO.

And maybe asking the case officer for a revised grant letter - or a visa label that confirms the date to which the visaholder is permitted to remain in Australia. In the confusing circumstances maybe the case officer can arrange a visa label on a no fee basis?

Best regards.

thanks Alan, i just had a look at VEVO, here is what it says: it clearly has a visa expiry date of Nov 2015. What would the old label look like if it's 2 years from initial entry?

Visa applicant Primary

Visa grant date 27 November 2013

Visa expiry date 27 November 2015

Location Offshore

Visa status In Effect

Visa grant number

Entries allowed Multiple entries to and from Australia during the validity of your visa

Must not arrive after 27 November 2015

Enter before date 18 October 2014

Period of stay 02 years stay on each arrival

The old visa labels for temporary residency visas had words to the effect, "Permitted to remain in Australia until DD/MM/YYYY."

I assume a visa label that is issued now would contain similar wording.

That was (and would be) pretty clear as to the date by which one must have applied for another visa, or have departed Australia.

Best regards.

Archived