Partner Visa Stat Decs - 6 week limit

ADGT

Hi everyone, my partner and I are submitting our partner visa application in London at end of July. We are just concerned about the 6 week validity of the stat decs by friends/family as one of our friends has already got her stat dec (form 888) witnessed and certified and going on this 6 week limit it will be not valid by then. Does this 6 week limit apply for off shore applications? Many thanks!

Where did you get the information that it has a 6 week validity from? As far as I'm aware this is a policy that only applies in very specific circumstances.

It is in the partner migration booklet (page 28):

"Statements from certain persons usually barred from applying for a Partner visa

If you:

are in Australia; and

do not hold a substantive visa; and

have had a visa refused or cancelled since your last entry to Australia (other than visa cancellation or refusal on character grounds or a Partner visa refusal); and

wish to apply for a Partner visa; then

in order to make a valid Partner visa application, you must provide statutory declarations from 2 persons who:

are aged 18 years or over;

are Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents; and

can support the existence of your relationship with your partner.

These statutory declarations can be either completed by using either the:

blank statutory declaration template available from the Attorney-General’s Department website http://www.ag.gov.au or

form 888 Statutory declaration by a supporting witness relating to a partner visa application available from the department’s website http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/888.pdf or from any office of the department or Australian mission.

The statutory declarations must have been made no more than 6 weeks prior to the day you lodge your application.

Note: If you provide these 2 completed statutory declarations, and they give sufficient evidence to support the existence, as well as the history, of your relationship with your partner, in most cases they will also be acceptable for the purposes of assessing the social context of your relationship (see page 27)."

Hi everyone, my partner and I are submitting our partner visa application in London at end of July. We are just concerned about the 6 week validity of the stat decs by friends/family as one of our friends has already got her stat dec (form 888) witnessed and certified and going on this 6 week limit it will be not valid by then. Does this 6 week limit apply for off shore applications? Many thanks!

I'm assuming you are referring to this comment in the Partner Migration booklet?

1. The statutory declarations must have been made no more than 6 weeks prior to the day you lodge your application.

As far as I am aware this is only relevant if your are applying while IN Australia. If you are applying offshore, as you are, this is doesn't apply to you.

Our statements certainly were older than 6 weeks old when we applied, given that some of them were sent from Australia and we wanted to make sure they arrived well in time...

-are in Australia;

-and do not hold a substantive visa;

-and have had a visa refused or cancelled since your last entry to Australia (other than visa cancellation or refusal on character grounds or a Partner visa refusal)

That's the very specific and rare circumstance. Doesn't apply in your case so no need to worry about any expiry date.

All the best,

-are in Australia;

-and do not hold a substantive visa;

-and have had a visa refused or cancelled since your last entry to Australia (other than visa cancellation or refusal on character grounds or a Partner visa refusal)

That's the very specific and rare circumstance. Doesn't apply in your case so no need to worry about any expiry date.

All the best,

Thank you so much for your replies! I think I was getting confused with all the wording and got muddled reading it and re-reading it! I thought it would have been hard to get them signed and to get them to us within the 6 weeks, so thank you for putting my mind at rest!!

Archived