parent visa 103

Mum and dad (both 77) recently came to Australia for a 6 week holiday. On return to uk they decided they would like to come back and live with me and Baz. The plan was for them to come back at xmas and apply for 804 non contributory parent visa. They could then apply for bridging visa A till 804 is granted. Not concerned about the long wait for this. Now know 804 is not going to be available so looking at 103. Apparently you cannot apply for bridging visa for this. Does this mean they cannot live in Australia until the 103 is granted. Any advice or opinions gratefully received.

I really can't see the value in lodging a 103 to be fair. At 77 years old they would be at least 90 when the visa granted, if it ever does get granted (can't see the government reducing the processing times). In the meantime they have no right to be in Australia and would have to lodge a tourist visa or similar to visit. Sure being in the parent visa queue allows a more generous tourist visa, but just being the parent of an Australian gives a similar benefit.

In my opinion I can only see the benefit of rushing through a non-contributory parent visa if applying from onshore. If applying offshore there's just no value unless the parent is younger.

Hello Adam.

Recently the processing times for the 103s and 804s have been more like 8 years, rather than 13 - in spite of what the DIBP says on its website.

In any event, you have to buy a ticket to win the lottery - the only certainty is that if you don't apply you won't be granted a visa.

Best regards.

I disagree. The processing times rise and fall depending on the demand/allocation levels and we all know the DIBP won't be in any rush to clear the backlog of applications in a ceased visa class. Besides, for two people that's a $3,500 lottery ticket!

People are free to do what they want of course, but I think it's important that they understand the risk before being encouraged to rush through an application.

Fair enough - each to their own.

I respect your opinion, but there are some parents who will regret not having applied in 8 to 10 years from now.

And - if I might say - $3,500 is a relatively insignificant sum in the grand scheme of things migration related. That is about the cost of an economy class flight for two to Australia from the UK.

Best regards.

OP, I would be far more inclined to take note of the considered opinion of a RMA who has been registered since 2001 and has rave reviews on PIO from dozens (if not hundreds) of satisfied clients than what some UNregistered person has to say.

OP, I would be far more inclined to take note of the considered opinion of a RMA who has been registered since 2001 and has rave reviews on PIO from dozens (if not hundreds) of satisfied clients than what some UNregistered person has to say.

Disgraceful statement and one of the reasons I don't post here as much as I used to.

if you took off your blinkers and actually read any of the above, you would see that I've given sound advice. I don't doubt Aan's knowledge, but I do feel that he jumped the gun a bit by recommending the OP rush an application through for a 103 visa. The most important thing an agent must do is work in the best interests of the client and that includes making them aware of the risks of any application, in the OPs case a 103 application made by a 77 year old, when the current waiting list is huge, the demand has spiked and the visa class will cease in less than a month, is a big risk worthy of noting.

Do you understand what registration with the MARA involves? It's doesn't take much at all but I can't get registered because I'm not Australian. Does that mean my opinion or advice is less valid even though it's clearly accurate advice?

Take a look at migrationagentreviews.com and see the testimonials for my company. We have 4 RMAs in the company, work for billion dollar global corporations and are very well respected in our field. I work across nearly every visa subclass and take my work and my CPD extremely seriously, judge my advice on its merit, not by some ill-judged prejudice.

Yes, I thought that was an OTT comment too, Ozmaniac.

I don't have an issue with Adam's perspective. I just happen to have a different view - parent visa applicants and their families can discuss these issues and reach decisions quickly.

So long as applicants and their families make an informed decision, and don't regret in the future whatever decision they make.

Unfortunately the withdrawal of visa categories at short notice forces prospective applicants into this sort of position.

Best regards.

An additional benefit for subclass 103 visa applicants - the ability to stay in Australia longer on an eVisitor visa once the 103 application has been lodged.

From DIBP policy guidance:

Officers are encouraged to consider granting offshore applicants who are in the parent queue an FA-600 (Tourist stream) visa with five year validity, 12 month stay and multiple entry so they can come and visit their family for longer periods on regular occasions.

Best regards.

But just by being a parent of an Australian they can be considered for a 3 year tourist visa with exactly the same stay period as above. The difference in a 5/3 year version is negligible considering the stay period is the important factor.

The 103 is going to suit some people (younger parents especially) and of course there's a lack of alternative options, but in my opinion people need to know the facts first before being encouraged to rush an application through.

Archived