General money saving tips

pbishop

Its almost 4 years since we arrived here from the UK. There's quite a few pit falls in finance here, and we've learned quite a few lessons (some the hard way) since arriving.

I haven't been on this forum for a while, but while we were in the process of moving, it was invaluable with the tips and information on here, so I thought I'd give something back by sharing a few finance tips for those of you who are in the process of moving, or have just arrived.

My first tip is that if you're intending on settling here, and you're looking to work , buy a house, cars etc, I'd highly recommend spending a few hundred dollars on some professional financial advice. Lots of things work differently here, from tax to car leasing, and we found that we saved that initial money several times over from the advice.

I notice there are advisors on this forum, but I'm also happy to pass on the details of the firm that we used, as they were good (PM me if you want an intro).

Tip 2 is a simpler one. If you buy alcohol, get it from Dan Murphy. They're cheaper than anyone else.

More tips to come if anyone's interested.