house sitting...

Kooky

has anyone tried it and had positive (or negative) experiences?

Just thinking it may be a good start for living whilst waiting for furniture. my husband is heading over before us (me, 2 kids and a dog) to secure a rental, find schools for the boys and hopefully some work! I was reading about house sitting and wondered if it was worth him doing? You have to pay a fee to register so i don't want to get stung by going with a bad company so recommendations would be fab ;-)

thanks

Hi

We tried it last year and enjoyed sitting for two different people. However, we are a retired couple. I think most sitters prefer single people or older couples and often don't want sitters with children or their own pets. We are going to do it again later this year with a view to travelling to different places. Its a good way to get around without hassle of trying to find accommodation. :smile:

Thanks for that. It will more than likely be my husband alone to be honest - he is flying out a month earlier than us to sort accommodation/teacher registration etc. so that should be ok. Did you manage to book it from the uk? Also which agency did you use? Thanks for reply ;-)

Hi

We registered with Aussie Housesitters, it's only $65 per year which isn't much if it gets you what you want. We did book it from the UK and we also organised our first two housesits from the UK too via Facetime. Once we got to Oz we went and visited the people who had contacted us and it was nice and easy from then on.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Kooky

Which housesitting website did you join? I've been looking at Happy Housesitters but they all seem to be looking for couples or single people (i.e. no kids) and we have 2 boys! I'd love to line something up from the UK before we get to Melbourne.

Thanks for your help.

Hiya. I will have to check with my husband as he sorted it. Ours actually fell through I am afraid so we ended up finding a long term rental from realestate which we move into on the 1st July (well my husband does - I am joining him later).

Archived